Author Topic: Gaint Pumpkin seeds  (Read 7361 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Gaint Pumpkin seeds
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 18:12:33 »
[quote author=Squashface link=topic=57175.msg592827#msg592827
Just because they are licenced Dill's suppliers doesn't mean they are of the genetics competition growers demand. Dills premium selected seeds are though...the one's that list the father and mother crosses. Seeds from Mal and other growers themselves are also very select seeds. They have been grown and selected over the years most with controlled pollinations. The suppliers are field growing the Dill's variety...open pollinated and quite inferior in size potential. Especially when you consider the effort a grower puts in. To max out at 250lbs is disappointing, and thats likely what you'll max out at with generic dills approved ebay seeds. You wouldn't run in the Kentucky Derby with a friend's barnhorse would you?
[/quote]

Yeah but you don't drive Formula 1 cars in your first race.... :D   If it's your first time with pumpkins then something less expensive per seed to practice on with what in this country can be quite a cranky plant to get going might be an idea....  When you are getting 200=odd pounds out of a regular AG then it's time to start growing 50-dollar seeds.... not when you still only have a survival rate of one plant in 3 which what I got the first time I tried to grow pumpkins (of any description)...

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 09:38:18 »
I'm having a pumpkin competition with my sister-in-law over our allotment this year.

Does anyone have a couple of spare giant seeds please? I've seen some on ebay but what some sellers say and what is true are often not the same.

If you pm me your address, i'll send a s.a.e and any payment you are asking.

Thanks

Neil

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 13:03:22 »
I've got some spare Atlantic Giant seeds you can have.  Let me know if you would like them.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 13:34:27 »
To Springs and Squash64,
Thank you both for the seeds, it should be fun seeing the kids faces when they start getting big.

Neil

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 13:44:19 »
To Springs and Squash64,
Thank you both for the seeds, it should be fun seeing the kids faces when they start getting big.

Neil

You're welcome Neil, good luck with them!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal