Author Topic: not printing properly  (Read 2733 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
not printing properly
« on: December 31, 2009, 17:01:47 »
I've got an epson printer 5yrs old it's always worked fine but last couple of weeks it's been playing up,some of my pics were coming out very blue .I did a check and cleaned the head (I sound very clever but I just read the manual and pressed a few buttons )anyway now it's just blotchy!!could the radiator close by be drying the ink and making it cloggy or do I have to consider a new one ?The advice in FAQ on their website is not very helpful but I bet you guys are  :)
sanity is overated

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: not printing properly
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 17:06:10 »
Ant says replace all the inks...

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 17:20:56 »
How often do you use it?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 17:34:42 »
Ant says replace all the inks...

I replaced the inks a couple of weeks ago and I do use it quite often but it may go 2or3 days without use
sanity is overated

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 18:06:45 »
sometimes it can take several cleanings if a head is very blocked.   

Have you printed a "test page"  this will print out a series of "squares" which can identify if any of the cartridges have become "clogged"  this will be an option from the epson print properties (I have always had epson) 

being near a radiator will not help

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 18:51:27 »
I'd try cleaning again before buying more ink.  One thing - have you changed the paper recently - I have had weird blotchy results printing on HP or generic photo paper from an epson
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 18:58:45 »
sometimes it can take several cleanings if a head is very blocked.   

Have you printed a "test page"  this will print out a series of "squares" which can identify if any of the cartridges have become "clogged"  this will be an option from the epson print properties (I have always had epson) 

being near a radiator will not help
did that and the yellow was clogged managed to right that but just looked at on of the pics and there  is sort of "flaring" almost as if the subjects are wearing plastic ???

sanity is overated

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 19:06:20 »
did you buy genuine replacement ink cartridges? i only ask cos i often buy cheaper versions and once the priniting was terrible changed the cartridge and good as new again

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 19:35:30 »
You could have a point debster ,I've never had a problem before but it could be a dodgy cartridge.I've just cleaned the head again as per mats instructions  :)
sanity is overated

Vanwin

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 22:21:29 »

One thing I don't see mentioned here which I have experienced in the past is software corruption.
     I tend to load different papers for different jobs so use different settings sometimes.
In control panel/printers you can click all sorts of settings and tell it to use default, and choose colour management settings. This is all complicated so I have found with various printers that if you delete printer, then insert the cd that came with it and reinstall it all, you often find it will be like new again.
     You can always resort to this if the previous replies you have do not help. I always use the cheap substitute inks from reputable companies and have no trouble. But I do agree with a previous reply about going into maintenance under printer settings and telling it to head clean itself, print test paper etc.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 16:29:16 »
Thanks everyone for your help,I've cleaned the head 3 times and fingers crossed it's working .I also changed the paper type setting.You guys are great it's like having you own computer expert sat right next to you  :) :) :)
sanity is overated

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 23:37:00 »
I was told by Choice Stationery several years ago, to do a head clean, do the print out and if it's still clogged, do another head clean, DON'T do the print out but leave the printer switched on overnight, do the print out in the morning and it should be working. I found that it always worked for me.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal