Author Topic: chesnuts  (Read 1466 times)

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
chesnuts
« on: January 02, 2010, 22:56:02 »
today, I was preparing my chestnuts to be roasted in the oven.  One of the nuts looks like it has a root growing on the tip, I have a few questions:
1. is it possible to plant this chestnut?
2. should I remove the outer skin, and plant the actual chestnut?
3. should I put it into water (like sweet potato) before planting into soil?

rather excited to hear if I can do anything with this.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: chesnuts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 23:22:32 »
I've got a sweet chestnut tree, the nuts seem to germinate really easily. It took over ten years to grow big enough to produce some nuts though, and be aware that they can become a very large tree indeed. Just put the nut in damp compost as it is, it should do fine.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:06:13 »
This is the sort of thing I would love, but the trees grow huge  ::)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 15:50:46 »
There is a way - you can grow them in a large pot. I have one that's about 8 feet high including the pot. It bears nuts, and the leaves are really nicely shaped, so it's good just as a decorative feature. The downside is that you really DO have to water them at least twice a day, mine takes around 10 litres a day during the growing season. Asnd of course they need feeding. But they are manageable, as you can prune over-large branches and keep the young shoots coming.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 16:21:43 »
There is a way - you can grow them in a large pot. I have one that's about 8 feet high including the pot. It bears nuts, and the leaves are really nicely shaped, so it's good just as a decorative feature. The downside is that you really DO have to water them at least twice a day, mine takes around 10 litres a day during the growing season. Asnd of course they need feeding. But they are manageable, as you can prune over-large branches and keep the young shoots coming.

Did you grow this yourself from a nut or buy a plant?

tai haku

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 21:50:58 »
This is the sort of thing I would love, but the trees grow huge  ::)

you might try castanopsis - its a sort ofshrub chestnut. I don't know much about them but I think agroforestry research trust do them (or used to).

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 02:53:07 »
Did you grow this yourself from a nut or buy a plant?

Think it was grown from a nut, but I've grown a good few from nuts over the last few years for planting out, they really do germinate and grow on easily, so it's worth a try.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 08:13:12 »
Jennym - how many years does it take until you get a crop on your pot ones?  Thanks.

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
Re: chestnuts
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 15:01:01 »
Thanks everyone, I have been inspired to plant it, I think I will go with the pot idea...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal