Author Topic: Greedy Tescos  (Read 24112 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Greedy Tescos
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 18:10:08 »
soon, it will be seeds an' plants an' trees, blow the Easter eggs, let's get the gardening stuff in  ;D
Yes.  Back to gardening and naughty jokes.   Anything else I think leave to others.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 20:36:28 »
Not been to Tescos for a wee while because of bad roads but managed to get to MORRISONS in Berwick on Tweed and lo and behold the aisle at the entrance was piled high with Cadbury's Choc. eggs.  Every supermarket will have them on display, not just Tesco.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 21:30:50 »
Jeez. Makes me want to bang my head off a wall.  :'(
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 05:18:27 »
Well that's the last time I shall be bothering to log onto this site let along placing any remarks or topics on here. The number of abusive emails I have had of you lot leaves me with disgust. With regards to comments about putting Tesco workers on the dole when Tescos opened up their first shop in Cardiff they employed a work force of 350 people the number of shops that closed down because of Tescos in Cardiff totaled over 380 shops with a work force of nearly 1000 people put out of work. To even think that Tesco is doing us all a favour  is missguided the only people that Tesco care about is their share holders. If you want to see what Tescos does to local shops pop into Ystrad Mynach in the Rhymney Valley Once it was a thriving place now it has been reduced to  ghost town.  Personally I give most of my suppport to local growers and local grocers and butchers 

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 06:58:58 »
Personally I give most of my suppport to local growers and local grocers and butchers 
That becomes a lot harder one tesco opens, the local producers are usually the first to be put out of business.
We have Tesco stores due to open soon in Drenewydd, Llandod, Machynlleth & Trallwng despite the independent retail assessment reports pointing out numerous problems it will cause on top of all the other objections to the planning application. Tesco have approached local producers offering to purchase from them but insist on paying significantly less than it costs to produce the food which clearly isn't going to work. As the Tesco stores are opening in the 4 main towns in the area where the local producers are currently selling their goods they are likely to suffer severely once the Tesco stores open as people will inevitably be shopping there instead.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:01:53 by Baccy Man »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 09:45:26 »
Well that's the last time I shall be bothering to log onto this site let along placing any remarks or topics on here. The number of abusive emails I have had of you lot leaves me with disgust. With regards to comments about putting Tesco workers on the dole when Tescos opened up their first shop in Cardiff they employed a work force of 350 people the number of shops that closed down because of Tescos in Cardiff totaled over 380 shops with a work force of nearly 1000 people put out of work. To even think that Tesco is doing us all a favour  is missguided the only people that Tesco care about is their share holders. If you want to see what Tescos does to local shops pop into Ystrad Mynach in the Rhymney Valley Once it was a thriving place now it has been reduced to  ghost town.  Personally I give most of my suppport to local growers and local grocers and butchers 

I can not understand why you have had abusive mails.

If that is the case you should report the members to the moderator.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 10:43:08 »
Why would anyone want to send abusive email regarding Tesco?  Perhaps there is a large percentage of people who work for/have shares in the company who want to stand up for their "rights" and Tesco are watching the comments and paying them in "club points" or whatever.  Don't forget that Dow watch comments closely.

The supermarkets in this country have over the years found the way of changing our shopping and eating and drinking habits that is greatly to their advantage, they are run by accountants and not grocers.  The whole situation is spiralling out of control, and the more money and power they have the worse it will get.

Every Tesco that opens destroys more than it is worth, but people can't see that.

I rarely shop there and would be happy to see them get their comeuppance.  I see them as a major player in the "English Mafia".

Rant over.
The Tuscan Beaneater

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 10:46:36 »
 still like Tescos but I did see an article about them once that said their philosophy was....
To sell EVERYTHING
           EVERYWHERE
       to EVERYONE
       ALL THE TIME
makes you think doesn't it  :o   
sanity is overated

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 11:23:03 »
I must admit I hate shopping in supermarkets.

You have to go on a fairly long drive to get to one from here.I get half way round and want to be out so I just don't use them.

Only 2 Adults and two dogs to feed so we manage quite well just using local shops.I find that our food bill is much cheaper as I think when you go around supermarkets you tend to buy much more than you need.

Must admit if I happen to be by an M&S FOOD HALL i AM IN THERE.Love their food.Happily that does not happen too often.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 11:40:35 »
still like Tescos but I did see an article about them once that said their philosophy was....
To sell EVERYTHING
           EVERYWHERE
       to EVERYONE
       ALL THE TIME
makes you think doesn't it  :o   
Judging by all the daft buggers queuing at the checkouts with there trolleys piled to the top on Xmas n new years eve, who can blame then for cashing in on the greed of the masses

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 12:12:38 »
We don't have a tescos near us, but we do have a huge ASDA hypermarket and now a sainsburys. I have to say that I really hate shopping at any supermarket. I find them far too crowded and seem to be full of people with no manners.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 12:39:07 »
It's not just in supermarkets it's where ever you go sadly manners are a thing of the past. :(

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 13:03:14 »
Tescos don't always win.  When they opened up an Express store in Bournville, Birmingham they were refused a liquor licence.  Bournville being part of the Cadbury estate - Quakers - so no chips shop. pubs or alcohol outlets. 

Argument given, I think, that this ruling was "old fashioned, out of date" in this day and age.  However I believe they are appealing.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 14:12:59 »
Well that's the last time I shall be bothering to log onto this site let along placing any remarks or topics on here. The number of abusive emails I have had of you lot leaves me with disgust.

Indeed.  Powerspade (should you log on again) please do not hesitate to report any abusive or unpleasant communications you receive via A4A.

Do you mean actual emails/PMs or or are you referring to the replies within this thread I wonder?

And for what it's worth, I do believe PurpleHeather's comment was made very tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously (I may be wrong of course!) :)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 15:32:16 »
The rise of the supermarket since the sixties has been entirely due to ... err ... popularity.

If supermarkets are so hated by the population of this country, how come when I drive past one, its carpark is over flowing.

Why do people shop there ? Price, convenience, price, locality, price, ease of parking, price, long opening hour, price, and ... err ... PRICE.

These days its pretty hard not to live near to a supermarket, surly only possible if you go out of your way to plan it like that.

Before the advent of supermarkets, people went shopping nearly everyday. Today we drive up to the supermarket front door, fill the boot with a weeks worth, or more, of groceries, and spend the rest of the week doing as we please (or going to work  :( ).

For those of you who like to spend more, be more inconvenienced, spend even more money on parking - if you can find a space , then there are still local shops around, it might be harder too find them, but thats the economy we live in today.

If you want to live in an old fashioned style of life, try the IoW.

For me I hate shopping, its just one of life's necessities. The quicker i can get it over and done with, the better. I'd rather spend the time with the family that spend it shopping.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 16:23:31 »
Well that's the last time I shall be bothering to log onto this site let along placing any remarks or topics on here. The number of abusive emails I have had of you lot leaves me with disgust.

Indeed.  Powerspade (should you log on again) please do not hesitate to report any abusive or unpleasant communications you receive via A4A.

Do you mean actual emails/PMs or or are you referring to the replies within this thread I wonder?

It is not the first time Powerspade has mentioned receiving abusive messages through this site, they have previously had to change their email address to prevent people sending them such messages. http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,55970.msg571037.html#msg571037
If the messages in question have not yet been deleted then they can still be reported so appropriate action can be taken if they were PMs there is a 'Report To Admin' button on the bottom right corner of every message if they ere emails they could be forwarded to Dan (his email address is in his profile). If inappropriate messages do not get reported then nothing can be done about them.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 16:24:12 »
 I never shop at Tescos, don't like there methods... don't like supermarkets  :)/ shades x
grow your own way

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 19:07:42 »
Well the PM `s I have received have called me a sheep S###r , one called me a atheist which as a christian I find very offensive, and several messages in which I was told to "F" off. It didn't take long for the Christmas spirit to died did it, and bye the way last autumn our local Tescos got caught by the trading standards people for adjusting their petrol pumps to give short measure They reckoned that over two years they cheated drivers out of half a million litres of fuel. That  information  was on BBC Wales news and in the Western Mail newspaper. There have been 7 people on here sending me abusive messages, to be straight they are not worth a packet of crisps between them. I buy my eggs from the local farm which is 200 yds away, also I buy lamb from them and cheese, fresh chickens, I also get a couple of loads of manure with them. I am 80% self sufficient with my own grown vegetables and also provide most of my own soft fruit, apple and plums. I purchase some seed from Willies but potatoes onions sets and shallots, lime and canes etc I get from my local garden/pet shop in Bargoed

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 19:12:45 »
Well the PM `s I have received have called me a sheep S###r , one called me a atheist which as a christian I find very offensive, and several messages in which I was told to "F" off.. There have been 7 people on here sending me abusive messages

who were they? name and shame, I say!!
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 19:13:40 »
good grief, powerspade, I can't understand why anyone would send abusive e mails about your post  ???
I'm sorry you've been upset by them, send their names to dan, he'll sort them for you, totally confused from wigan  :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal