Author Topic: Greedy Tescos  (Read 24123 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Greedy Tescos
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2010, 16:08:40 »
Robert, I'll have to think about what you've said.  No, not all religeous people and bad, and a few have made a positive difference - more fool the rest of us if we let the bad ones get away with it.

Anywho, I've brought the teapot

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2010, 16:09:10 »
Okay - I shall put the kettle on too!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2010, 16:58:14 »
If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time
[/quote]

how did you know? Does that mean you're one of us?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2010, 17:12:49 »
Somebody somewhere has got to be high!
Have a cup of tea, have another one, have a cup of tea..

I am one too!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2010, 17:34:58 »
I blame Tesco!! ;D ;D :P

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2010, 11:06:31 »

Since it can neither be proved or disproved we could have an endless debate about whether, if it exists at all, it can be regarded as a 'real' phenomenon. But if it exists, it does so within the universe, or 'creation'. That then leads to the question of who put the teapot there. It's the same as Erich von Daniken's nonsense (anyone remember that?) about technology being derived from alien visitors. It just raises the issue of how the aliens, if they exist, managed to discover the technology. Did they learn it from a further lot of aliens, and if so, where did they get it?

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2010, 11:15:40 »
Occam's Razor would get rid of the Cosmic Teapot

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2010, 11:56:00 »
Occam's Razor would get rid of God too!

Since it can neither be proved or disproved we could have an endless debate about whether, if God exists at all, it can be regarded as a 'real' phenomenon. But if God exists, it does so within the universe, or 'creation'. That then leads to the question of who put God there.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2010, 13:05:09 »

Since it can neither be proved or disproved we could have an endless debate about whether, if God exists at all, it can be regarded as a 'real' phenomenon. But if God exists, it does so within the universe, or 'creation'. That then leads to the question of who put God there.
and who does his washing?
You couldn't make it up!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2010, 15:08:31 »
I expect God uses a high tech machine for that , like the rest of us.  ;D

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2010, 15:12:31 »

not necessarily I think, but I did wonder for a bit

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2010, 16:56:39 »
But if God exists, it does so within the universe, or 'creation'. That then leads to the question of who put God there.

Nobody ever held that God created himself, at least not in the Religions of the Book. Traditionally, he's been regarded as the uncreated First Cause, who set all the chains of cause and effect into motion. So nobody created him, put him there, or caused him to come into being. Logically, something has to have started it all off, and I'm not sure William of Occam would help there. He said that you mustn't multiply entities unnecessarily, but something has to have pressed the equivalent of a button.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2010, 17:54:29 »
I didn't think I'd missed the "creation" and existence of God debate, not having tried to teach it at GCSE for the first time in ten years... but I think I have missed it, or the point, or the teapot...  :-X

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2010, 18:21:26 »
I'm Zero the Hero and my head is floating away in the sky don't know why...
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2010, 18:26:04 »
I'm Zero the Hero and my head is floating away in the sky don't know why...

don't know why.........because you're off you're t*ts on drugs, you Pothead Pixie!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2010, 20:22:42 »
I blame Tesco!! :-[

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2010, 20:59:20 »
I didn't think I'd missed the "creation" and existence of God debate, not having tried to teach it at GCSE for the first time in ten years... but I think I have missed it, or the point, or the teapot...  :-X

Bertrand Russell, was the chappie, Saddad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot
You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2010, 21:41:37 »
Sorry saddad, I didn't see what you were asking.  I'd linked my teapot reference to the Wikipedia article that tonybloke referenced.

Anywho grawrc, it's not all Tesco.   Wasn't it the church that invented the three-for-one deal?  ;)
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2010, 22:23:56 »

Anywho grawrc, it's not all Tesco.   Wasn't it the church that invented the three-for-one deal?  ;)

ROFL now that is funny.  But where's the original poster?  Still some explaining to do methinks.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

• Half Acre
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2010, 00:16:31 »

Gone to Iceland ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal