Author Topic: Greedy Tescos  (Read 24155 times)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
Re: Greedy Tescos
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2010, 07:58:55 »
[quote(these are easily double the supermaket prices][/quote]

:-[ I beg to differ, we are butchers and our meat is free range and local, and NOT TWICE THE PRICE OF SUPERMARKET PRICES.

many people just look at the pack price and not the price they are charging per kilo, which is often comparable with our prices, it really annoys me when people assume that local shops are naturally more expensive,  >:(

anyway back to topic.........our sainsburys have no signs of Easter eggs, the sales on ;)
Life is to short !!!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2010, 08:05:26 »
Back off topic -

"I'm a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
Here is my spout

When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
"Tip me over
and pour me out!"

;D  ;D  ;D

I think the shops that are more expensive than the big superstores are the likes of the Coop, small one here and boy are they pricey! And yes they have some cadbury's cream eggs  ::)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2010, 08:09:18 »
I think you'll find that Cadbury creme eggs are on sale all year round & have been for many years now

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2010, 09:18:24 »
Yes..........and I swear they are getting smaller each year.

I blame Tesco   :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2010, 09:22:01 »
I blame Occam....  :-X

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2010, 09:23:24 »
Could that tea pot have something to do with it   ??? ???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2010, 09:25:14 »
Yes... but I can't eat Cream eggs so I'll have to have a pot of "real-i-tea"  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2010, 10:23:38 »

Anywho grawrc, it's not all Tesco.   Wasn't it the church that invented the three-for-one deal?  ;)

ROFL now that is funny.  But where's the original poster?  Still some explaining to do methinks.

G x

Hear Hear!!
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2010, 10:32:14 »

I think the shops that are more expensive than the big superstores are the likes of the Coop, small one here and boy are they pricey! And yes they have some cadbury's cream eggs  ::)

I beg to differ! our local area is well served by the Co-op  http://www.eastofengland.coop/data/usercontentroot/incs/home/default.asp
their prices aren't far out from the other Major chains, you get a better dividend return per £ spent than with any other 'loyalty card', they employ local staff, first to offer fair trade products, first to have bio-degradeable carrier bags, etc etc etc...oh yes, and you don't have to own a car to get there (like you do with many out-of-town superstores)

You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2010, 10:35:59 »
unwahed you are one of them
I assume this is directed at me.

I have not sent powerspade any e-mail or private message whatsoever.  The whole of my contribution to this debate is contained in my posts to this thread.  Powerspade, would you care to clarify?

SamLouise, powerspade accused unspecified members of sending "a number of abusive e-mails", and as I was one of the members to have taken issue with the original post it would be a reasonable inference that were this to be true, some of those e-mails had been sent by me.  Powerspade has subsequently specifically accused me of sending e-mails.  I wouldn't want members here, or indeed people who visit this site and know me in real life, to think that I would abuse anyone in this manner.  I suggest that the accusation is false and that powerspade owes us all an explanation.

Well,   Powerspade? (over to you, methinks) 
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:04 »
Tony,I agree with you about the co op.

We have one in the village and I am happy to shop there.

The spar has good offers too.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2010, 13:02:12 »
I still believe the coop are pricey - but would agree on fair trade, free range stuff side of things. And the divvi is the best! But I still think they are pricier than the bigguns (but haven't actually wandered around comparing exact prices, better things to do with me time, just the impression I get)

re the eggs - what I meant to add was that they've been moved to more prominent positions by the tills etc, but that's shops for ya  :D

Anyway back off topic ....
"I'm a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
Here is my spout

When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
"Tip me over
and pour me out!"

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2010, 13:35:12 »
Co-op can be pricey but so nice.  :) Unlike Scummerfield who are rubbish and pricey. I just hate supermarket shopping. I have to use them-although I get my meat at the market in Blackpool with my Nana and freeze it, we don't eat an awful lot of it anyway, get veggies from grocer at the mo until my growing's back on, but cleaning stuff, storecupboard stuff etc has got to come from supermarket.
OH and I go round them backwards and find this helps us a) buy less crap we don't want and b) is more fun.
But I don't complain when I find cd's for £3 or great kids clothes.  :-X
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2010, 13:41:04 »

OH and I go round them backwards and find this helps us a) buy less crap we don't want and b) is more fun.

what a brilliant idea!! Tracie says she'll try this next time!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2010, 13:44:44 »
Co-op can be pricey but so nice.  :) Unlike Scummerfield who are rubbish and pricey.

I could be wrong but I think the coop has taken over Scummerfield.

Do you walk backwards or start at the checkout and go from there to the entrance? ;D ;D ;D Sounds like you'd save quite a bit! ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 13:47:02 by grawrc »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2010, 13:53:42 »
I was trying to figure out how to go backwards with one of those blasted trolleys in tow  ::)

But if you start backwards - that means you start on the booze aisle .......

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2010, 14:21:25 »
My main gripes with Tescos is that they try to squeeze all possible competition out. And the standard of a lot of the stuff at our local Tesco is rubbish. As someone has said local butchers can often match prices on meat if you look carefully enough. Also you are more likely to find a butcher who has meat and knows where his meat was reared.
They probably cannot match Tesco on chicken prices but if you don't mind eating chickens that have been sitting in their own muck...
Tesco apples ....yuck. I try to go to a Cheshire orchard and have started enjoying bought in apples again...and we have choice. The vegetables....sometimes I have thrown better stuff in my compost than my local Tesco have put on the shelves.
Trouble is British consumers are not too bothered about quality. They want it cheap and they want it convenient. The supermarkets win because people can go in and do all their shopping in one go. I live in a small town and if people dont start using the local shops more we are going to be stuck with only Tesco. Then we will only be able to buy what Tesco choose to provide.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2010, 21:04:42 »
But if you start backwards - that means you start on the booze aisle .......

Precisely.  ;)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2010, 22:23:43 »
My heads f#####g spinning reading this thread, but I do love a cream egg and yes they are getting smaller, I'd love to blame tesco but cadburys have got my vote.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2010, 23:38:22 »
[quote(these are easily double the supermaket prices]

:-[ I beg to differ, we are butchers and our meat is free range and local, and NOT TWICE THE PRICE OF SUPERMARKET PRICES.

many people just look at the pack price and not the price they are charging per kilo, which is often comparable with our prices, it really annoys me when people assume that local shops are naturally more expensive,  >:(

anyway back to topic.........our sainsburys have no signs of Easter eggs, the sales on ;)
[/quote]

I can only compare my local butchers, which I will add is excellent quality, fantastic service, free range and local. Many things are twice the price of the supermarket! This may be to do with the catchment area. I know my parent's local butcher is alot cheaper.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal