Author Topic: Greedy Tescos  (Read 24108 times)

powerspade

• Hectare
Greedy Tescos
« on: January 01, 2010, 04:14:28 »
I very rarely go to Tescos or any other supermarket come to that but I needed to buy some new boots for use down the allotment and a couple of pairs of jeans. So I popped over to Merthyr yesterday, on arrival at Tescos I was faced near the entrance with a mountain of EASTER EGGS. Are they going bonkers or what.  No just plain Greedy. A day or so after Christmas when the birth of Jesus is celebrated and Tescos put out stock for Easter. Well it turned me right off the GREEDY SODS. I got my jeans  in Primark and the boots form a local shoe shop. My New years resolution will be"STUFF TESCOS"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:17:51 by powerspade »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Greedy Tescos
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:31:44 »
You do realise that your refusal to shop there will make their share price plummet and place thousands of jobs at risk.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:30:29 »
Every one will be cashing in their club card points and it will ruin them
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:32:39 by zigzig »

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:09:43 »
when my daughter was growing up i worked for woolworths for 8 years, every christmas eve the christmas stuff had to be taken down and the easter eggs put out and no staff were allowed home til it was done, so believe me its not just tescos

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:08:27 »
we never even go onto their car-parks, let alone in their shops.
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:12:36 »
Several years ago I had a part time job in Evans.

Christmas Eve we left at 9pm in order to display the sale items.

Nightmare.

If you work for an essential service I can understand having to work these hours but not in a shop.

Vowed never to do it again. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:00:45 »
I don't think Tesco is any different from any of the other big stores in this respect. If the stuff is on the shelves it's because their customers will buy it. So greedy customers!! ;)

Or maybe Tesco et al are guilty of greed and the customers of gluttony? Just cutting those two would massively reduce the number of deadly sins to 5.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:02:45 by grawrc »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 13:24:43 »
I don't think Tesco is any different from any of the other big stores in this respect. If the stuff is on the shelves it's because their customers will buy it. So greedy customers!! ;)

Or maybe Tesco et al are guilty of greed and the customers of gluttony? Just cutting those two would massively reduce the number of deadly sins to 5.

I was about to write something very similar!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 13:36:01 »
Who actually buys Easter eggs now?

I'd be interested to know whether anyone buys them so early or if the supermarkets just need to keep festive and colourful displays to attract shoppers.

Anyway I'm also sulking with Tescos, I asked if I could have any of their old banners to cover my allotment and they said they don't allow anyone to have them.

I don't think they've noticed I'm sulking though... ;)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 14:10:52 »
My Father worked at Cadburys in the thirty's and would not buy Easter Eggs or Chcolate out of the shops.  He said it was too old .  I must admit the chocolate he brought home from " The Chocolate Shop" which was in the factory for workers tasted wonderful.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 14:47:22 »

Given that every square ft of store space has to generate income you're right if folk didn't buy it it wouldn't be on the shelves
I worked for several food retailers in the past inc Tescos and yes they're all the same, that said they were a very good company to work for and despite what people think they had a strong policy on customer service and we were encouraged to always go the extra mile for the customer- just read that back and I'm waiting for the funnies ;D
sanity is overated

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 15:03:38 »
Don't worry - every time I have asked any shop if I can have any bits and bobs that you know they are going to chuck out the answer has always been "No".  Simply resorted to skip dipping whilst walking to and from work.  Found loads of possibly "useful" items in them.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 15:13:49 »
Eggs or no eggs, I am not going to give up shopping at Tesco. 

We took our caravan twice through the tunnel to France last year using Tesco points so it didn't cost us anything.   ;D   Saving my points to have two trips this year too.    ;D ;D

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 15:21:22 »
I dont think its a matter of having eggs out, but more of not having empty/bare shelves. These not only look ugly, but also dont earn money.

As soon as the working New Year gets under way, these good will all change. Not sure what the Winter seaonal goods are though - jumpers, Ski ware ?

I was in an Asda Homeware store yesterday and they had summer garden furiture filling the shelves !!

Who actually buys Easter eggs now?

If they're made of chocolit - Manics, by the truck load.  ;)

gridgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 15:24:15 »
silly me i always thought they put the valentines day candy up after Christmas.
 Multiple logins

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 16:00:04 »
I'd like to be affluent enough to shop at Waitrose because I think you'd have to go a long way to find a more ethical company than the John Lewis partnership, but as a working man I'm happy to spend my money with Tesco.

My celebration of Christmas has nothing to do with the baby Jesus, and Christians would do well to look at the behaviour of their own church before they go pointing the finger at secular organisations.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 16:11:46 »
There are always those who let us down, but you shouldn't judge religious people by their worst. You wouldn't like it if I judged all atheists by the worst I could find.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 17:32:52 »
That doesn't wash Robert.  The accusation here is that Tesco is greedy.  But the concept of greed, as one of the mortal sins, is a protection racket invented by the Christian church.

Yet ironically the Christian church is probably the wealthiest organisation on the planet.  The Church of England has £4Billion in the bank - I can just imagine the squeeling if the government took that to help us out of our current fix.  Tesco give about 2% of their pre-tax profit to charity.  Churches don't even pay tax.

And Christmas isn't even a Christian festival, the Christians co-opted a pagan nature festival.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 17:37:48 »
Oh give it a rest,it is New Year's day :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 18:02:39 »
soon, it will be seeds an' plants an' trees, blow the easter eggs, let's get the gardening stuff in  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal