Author Topic: Allotment Rents  (Read 27451 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Allotment Rents
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2010, 11:36:05 »
It's done through NSALG - a company called NewSpace. Last year I spent several days phoning around to get a better deal and couldn't find one. You have to be affiliated to get the insurance, and that in itself costs £2 per head - that's why we charge £4 per member supplement (regardless of how much land is rented).

But then members can get their £4 back by putting in an order for King's Seeds. (And - although it was the first time we'd ever done it, and not many members ordered, we still made nearly £60 profit for the Society!)

Details are in the NSALG magazine (or pm me).

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2010, 12:12:16 »
For allotment Insurance:-

http://www.rsib.co.uk/The-Allotments-Insurance-Scheme_3_0_15_23_info.html

It is probably the least expensive one, specially negotiated. The snag is that there is an excess and  membership of the association is £1 per member per year.

You may consider the likelyhood of a claim being remote, the saving on the annual premium  and association fee soon covers it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:19:23 by PurpleHeather »

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2010, 19:07:52 »
Anywho - If you haven't already posted your allotment rent please do.  Ideally I want to know the all-in cost of both a five and a ten pole plot, but if you don't know that then just your own rent and the size of your plot would be great.  The more samples we have the more accurately we can tell what the national average rent is.  Ta.

As it stands, assuming you want a five-pole plot:

averate rate is somewhere between £3.88/pole and £5.39/pole and is most likely £4.64/pole

and if you get a ten pole plot the rate's about 20p/pole cheaper.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2010, 19:18:36 »
Thanks Trevor and PH! UW sorry for the diversion. BTW you have my plot cost. It's the same (pro rats) for all our plot holders.

cornwallallotments

• Not So New ...
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2010, 19:45:46 »
We charge £100 per year for a 10 pole plot and £60 for a 5 pole plot, that includes water and insurance for our member and public liability insurance. We do discount if people have more than one plot, I realise this sounds a lot however as a private allotments business we have had to cover the cost of the land purchased just over a year ago, Around here this seems to be the standard rent for private allotments although there is one which charges 3 times our price for a much smaller plot!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2010, 19:52:12 »
"Newspace" are now part of "Bluefin" but it hasn't changed much...  :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2010, 22:32:16 »
*boing*

If you haven't already posted your allotment rent please do.  Ideally I want to know the all-in cost of both a five and a ten pole plot, but if you don't know that then just your own rent and the size of your plot would be great.  The more samples we have the more accurately we can tell what the national average rent is.  Ta.

As it stands, assuming you want a five-pole plot:

averate rate is somewhere between £3.88/pole and £5.39/pole and is most likely £4.64/pole

and if you get a ten pole plot the rate's about 20p/pole cheaper.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal