Author Topic: growbags or pots  (Read 3194 times)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
growbags or pots
« on: January 24, 2010, 18:40:06 »
First year with my greenhouse but not sure what to use for my tomatoes growbags or put them in pots, any advice?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: growbags or pots
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 19:08:20 »
Big pots every time for me. Growbags are hard to water properly, you can always see what you're doing with a pot. Growbags frequently claim to take three tomatoes but there's not really enough compost in them to do so.

chrisc

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 19:10:10 »
Big pots for me as well ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 19:10:34 »
The black florists flower buckets are recommended. Co-op Morrison's etc do them. Some give them away others charge about £1 per 10. Use grow bag compost in the buckets.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 19:13:16 »
Thanks that helps me too, tis also my first time growing them  ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 19:23:47 »
I did actually buy the black pots from morrisons a few weeks ago then someone mentioned grow bags. Pots it is then, cant wait to get started this year

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 19:43:03 »
I know alot of you favour the Morrisons pots etc but dont you find they become a top heavy and fall over? How do you support them and stop this from happening. I grew some of my chillis in the black pots and had this problem.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 19:56:42 »
We use the black buckets... saw the bottom off, fill with "growbag" compost... or our own but plant them a couple of inches into the border... then you can push the cane through the pot... at the end of the year empty the pots outside .. so pests/diseases don't build up. You can stand them in growbags we do it for the peppers and Aubergines on a "table"...  :)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 23:23:36 »
I cut the growbags in half - each becomes two big soft 30cm pots.

As a lazy person, I also set up a row of them (crosswise) on a pair of 4x2" timbers: Cover the gap between with thick polythene so it's a trough, push a 15x3cm strip of capillary cloth through the bottom of each 'pot' so it can dangle to the bottom of the trough, fill the trough with water - and neglect for a week or two at a time... You need something to stop them toppling - a loop of rope will do.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal