Author Topic: Help- is my camera dying!!!  (Read 3108 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Help- is my camera dying!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 18:01:24 »

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 23:12:12 »

able to plug in to my computer (via a lead not just card)

dont understand what you mean

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 04:15:09 »
I've been trying to find another camera BUTcrikey there are soooo many.
I think I want
 8 mpix
4-5 optical zoom
able to plug in to my computer (via a lead not just card)
simple to use
pref under £100
any suggestions ?
p.s keep em clean ;D

8mpix is old hat now, you might be able to get a cheapie. 10-12mpix is now standard

Optical Zoom. 3x is the norm, a few do 5x, but not many.
Lead/card.  All cameras use USB to connect to the PC these days. Its rare to need to change to memory
card/ insert the memory card into a (USB) reader.

Simple to use - (I think) there all pretty much all the same in functionality, two buttons for zoom in/out, some kind of function (program/manual/auto/bulb) button, a menu button (for quality/iso/set up etc)  a gallery button to  view pictures and a self timer.

Pref under £100. There are many good ones £50-100, just take your pick. Under £50 are still good and will still have all the functionality, but will be less Mpix.

The main differences are

Batteries/rechargeable. If your rechargeable is empty, your stuffed, if they're AA/AAA you can buy more World Wide. Rechargeable are thinner = camera is thinner = smaller and will fit in your pocket/handbag.
Rechargeable AA/AAA are about £10 for 4 (ie two sets)

Memory cards. Olympus, Fuji and Sony use XD/M2 cards, everybody else uses SD. therefor SD are cheaper, much cheaper. Although these days there are XD/M2 card holders that take Micro SD.
I recently bought an 8Gb Micro SD (class 6) for £12 on Ebay. Smaller (2Gb/4Gb) and slower (class 2/4) will be cheaper.

Screen size. A larger one will give a better view of your pictures but will make the whole camera larger. Exact opposite for a smaller screen.

Other differences do exist, like quality of the case and lens, brand image, style, etc - it just depends if you care or not, and what your going to use it for.

For beaches/parties etc I use an old 5mpix cheapie that I dont care if it gets damaged. For better pictures I have a Olympus X-42 12MP Camera with 5x zoom from Argos (£61).

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5593000/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/3|cat_15701379|Digital+cameras+and+packages|14419441.htm

(you need the whole link, not just the highlighted bit)

The only thing I don't like is the sound settings. I like a camera to "click" of some sort when I take a photo.  

I used to have a Samsung 8Mpix, but the zoom bit broke after 13 months, ie just out of warrentee, so this time I went for a slightly more up-market brand.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:31:46 by Pesky Wabbit »

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 09:52:47 »
Wow a lot of info to digest but exactly what I was looking for .Thankyou both for your help.P.S.is it too early to wish you both
happy new year
sanity is overated

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 13:04:12 »
I've been what your going through twice in the last 15 months, so any questions just ask away.

(before that my previous camera was purchased in 1999, one of the very first  digitals, so 15 months ago it was all double-dutch to me.)

Oh by the way, if you havn't yet realised, no matter what make you buy, or where from, you'll need to buy a memory card. Shops  trim the camera price down by not including them and then give a hard sell on overpriced memory and pouches to keep the camera all in. :(

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 13:54:09 »
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOUI went straight to the Argos link found the one and a special 1/2 price deal on the memory card. 30 mins later I was snapping the grandson 14 today.
I would have still been trawling through websites and jargon on his 15th without your help.
About needing other things eg memory cards I bought my original from QVC and it came with everything and was a smashing little camera unfortunately I couldn't find what I wanted from them, this time so thanks again ;D ;D ;D
sanity is overated

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 01:17:06 »
No worries. Its what A4A is about - helping each other.

PW.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:30:47 by Pesky Wabbit »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal