Author Topic: what's best for de-icing car windows?  (Read 8599 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: what's best for de-icing car windows?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 16:51:44 »
I use a window scraper, push it rather than pull, it comes off quicker.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 17:37:56 »
Q: What's best for de-icing car windows?
A: My husband!
Sounds about right. 

I do the wife's car when I do my own because I am up and out to work over an hour before she has to be up.  Blown air with both engines on to clear the windscreen, and electric heating on the back windscreen whilst I scrape the side windows.  Usually  the windscreens are clear once I have finished the sides.

Small tip:  Never use a scraper to clear the back window.  The small metal heating strip that defrosts it can be broken by the scraper; then its a hole new rear window if you want the heater replaced.  (Trust me, I am speaking from a costly experience here).
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 23:53:58 »
Our car is permanently outside and we have been down to -16.5C already this winter.  I use a strip of old plastic tablecloth across the windscreen, held in place by the two front doors.  When it's time to go I use a rubber window cleaning dooberry on a long handle to sweep any snow off the car doors, turn on the engine and rear screen heater, blast the heat towards the windscreen and then carry on scraping snow off the car.

Then I remove the plastic sheet and stash it in the garage which is full of other gubbins so no room for car.   No chemicals and no water and all done in minutes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 23:55:57 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 07:15:22 »
There's only one way really - scrape. Here, in Switzerland it's forbidden to start the engine whilst clearing the windows or using the engine for this purpose with the car stationary . At least the police are hot on cold mornings...  When it's really cold it's also best to not lock the doors, use silicone on the rubber door edgings and trying to avoid lowering a window which can freeze instantly. I've even had to take the battery inside the house in the evenings to be sure of the car starting in the mornings.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 07:40:03 »
I picked up two tips years ago on another forum - think it was posted by a long-distance driver...anyway, they're ones I still use if/when I need to...1) for the locks: smear with vaseline if your car's going to be left out. (I also invested in a 'hot key' gizmo & between the two they did the trick). Then for the windscreens (& I had an old car & defrosting using the heating system was a loooooong procedure)....the tip was to keep a rag soaked in salt+ water in a polythene bag in the car. After parking, wipe this rag over the screens. It really did help.

This sounded great so I tried it last night, husband just came in and said thanks for the extra layer of ice!  :-\

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:50 »
Here, in Switzerland it's forbidden to start the engine whilst clearing the windows or using the engine for this purpose with the car stationary

Why? Seems a weird regulation!

Just looked out the window and theres 6 inches of snow, luckily dont have to drive anywhere, but the downside is that I can't use it as an excuse to skive off work!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 10:15:25 »
It causes air pollution and in towns and cities fumes can build up quite fast especially on sunny days with high atmospheric pressure.
Obxx - Vendée France

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 21:36:36 »
A supervisor where I used to work had a hot water faucet installed in the garage when he built his house just to de-ice car windows. I protested that he ran the risk of cracking a window but he swore that had never happened in all the years he'd done it. So now that is what I also do (not boiling hot water though) and find it very quick and no strain. Only risk is wet shoes or water slopped on me.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal