Author Topic: any photos of narrow gardens or plots?  (Read 3494 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
any photos of narrow gardens or plots?
« on: December 17, 2009, 20:14:33 »
Hi everyone

It's planning season and I'm thinking about my newish allotment and what it should look like. It's a long very narrow strip - maybe 4 meters wide.

Have any of you got any inspirational pictures of narrow plots or gardens to help me?

I know it's not the time of year to be taking inspirational photos, but you might have some old ones from more beautiful seasons!

ACE

• Hectare
Re: any photos of narrow gardens or plots?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:24:22 »
I'll send you a picture of my garden path, it's about the same size ;D

But seriously I have an idea there are books and no doubt web sites dealing with gardening in small spaces, also when you see what can be done at a garden show in a courtyard, you will have a lot of fun pinching ideas.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 13:50:08 »
It's hardly inspirational, but this is what I'm doing on my plot.

My plot's 5m wide and 55m long, so a fair bit wider than yours, but I think the principles are the same.

Until this year I hadn't ever given any thought to what my plot looked like.  I'd never thought of it as anything but functional - though paradoxically I find the functional look one of the most attractive features of the allotment scene.  So crops were always planted in rows across the plot.

But this year I decided to make the plot a bit more interesting so I installed some 8' tripods in a zig-zag to both create height, and define several triangular beds, and now I'm planting in diagonal rows.  It's much more faf than it was before, but it does break the long plot up well.  I also have a pond, shed and fruit cage and these features all break up the plot into different areas.

An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 14:01:01 »
Unwashed's idea about the bean poles is a good one for breaking the lines up, I've bought some £5 rose arches from Wilkinsons (online) and plan to use a couple of these on my plot. 1 for a grapevine and maybe another for sweatpeas followed by a climbing pumpkin.
I know some people edge their plots, or you could look at using perenial plants to help break the lines - herbs (rosemary, sage etc), flower beds (poppies) etc

Let us know what you plan to do  :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 14:40:26 »
our plot is 12' either side of the poly, here's a couple of pics of ours in june  ;D
don't know where the other one went, try again  ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 15:16:24 by manicscousers »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 14:53:04 »
Probably not quite what you are looking for, but it may give you some ideas;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Slide%20Shows/Allotment/allotment.html

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 13:23:41 »
Thank you for all the photos and suggestions.
I'd never thought of it as anything but functional
Your plot looks lovely, Unwashed. Such nice wide, flat paths as well. And the bean poles will look lovely in the summer.

Personally, I've always liked the pretty and romantic style of garden. And especially ones which seem very abundant and I love the messy and eccentric plots. On my site almost all the plots are very simple and neat (unless they're abandoned!)

Mine's also very plain and functional now, but I would like to it to have more height eventually.

Unwashed's idea about the bean poles is a good one for breaking the lines up, I've bought some £5 rose arches from Wilkinsons (online) and plan to use a couple of these on my plot. 1 for a grapevine and maybe another for sweatpeas followed by a climbing pumpkin.
I know some people edge their plots, or you could look at using perenial plants to help break the lines - herbs (rosemary, sage etc), flower beds (poppies) etc

I think, as with your taste in cooking 1066, we share the same taste in gardens! I might ask for a couple of Wilkinsons rose arches for my birthday - Is there a Wilkos in Eastbourne maybe?

I've also seen some photos people have posted on this site, where they use hedges or other edging round the beds. I do love that look.  

I'm putting in two apple trees as well - so they'll start to add height. It's exciting planning! :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 13:35:56 »
 ;D at you PigeonSeed
yes I think there's one in Eastbourne, there is also one in Ashford, but as they don't always stock everything in the shops I tend to go online, but if you're over that direction then nothing lost eh!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 19:29:44 »
Wow I didn't even know there was an online Wilkinsons!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 11:46:07 »
 just gets better and better eh  ;D  ;D  ;D - It was Shirlton who put me onto them  8)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 18:23:21 »
I think Shirl has shares in Wilko's.    ;D ;D ;D   :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal