Author Topic: What can I grow up the side of my plot?  (Read 2676 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
What can I grow up the side of my plot?
« on: November 29, 2009, 13:13:15 »
I don't know where to ask this; could be edible, could be wild flowers for pollinators, could be a wind-break; any of those would be useful.  Would be nice if it was colourful too.

What I've got is a sheer drop down the whole length of my plot.  Looks like the previous owner dug down for decades and then carted the soil off somewhere because I'm about 1.5/2 feet lower than my neighbour.

At the moment it's a tangle of creeping weeds.  Is there something I could plant and how?  Have considered wild strawbs, as above something flowery for pollinators, but don't want too many seeds flying in my beds and what would survive if I just yank out the weeds and perhaps plant in pockets of compost?

I won't have much time to devote to it once the growing season gets underway.

Any suggestions?  Thanks..

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What can I grow up the side of my plot?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 13:27:15 »
Jerusalem Artichokes would provide a wind break (in one sense) and are edible... they can tolerate a lot of weed competition...   :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 13:33:28 »
Peas are good as a windbreak, grow well in pockets.  But for dropping down a slope I have always loved  nasturiums, fell in love with them falling down the cliffs in Majorca.  Perhaps also pumpkins/squashes they do not like weeds very much and  grow well in pockets, and then spread all over.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:00:59 »
I like Digeroo's ideas - I saw a pic in a Sarah Raven book where she grew pumpkins on a sunny slope and they looked great.

As to Saddad LOL!

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:34:26 »
Thanks for the suggestions  :)  it's got me thinking...

Maybe suggesting a windbreak  was a red herring - considering the sharp incline, not a slope I can't see how something like Jerusalem artichokes could grow upwards, perhaps they'd stick out at 90 degrees.  I might try and get a photo but camera is on it's last legs.

Peas, sweet ones - could they ramble?  There are some wild peas grow there so I suppose they like the soil.  Would be colourful and no flying seeds and then later in the season I could pop in my various cucumber/cucumber type crops, which are not an eating priority but love to watch them grow.  I understand they need less water than other squashes and they grow very nicely next to beans for me.

Another thing is it's NW facing, which is not ideal.

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 18:07:32 »
Jerusalem Artichokes would provide a wind break (in one sense)

In all senses.
Good gardening!

John

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 20:08:27 »
Couch grass. I do.    :-[
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 19:29:45 »
I'd probably go all obsessive and try to build a terrace rather than a slope, stop it sliding onto my plot.

mrestofus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 19:30:14 »
any fast growing vining  plant would do the trick.
the choice is all about what goal have in mind besides breaking the wind.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 19:39:07 »
it's not just about breaking the wind, remember

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 19:54:30 »
NW not quite the right thing for squashes.  Bit more of a challenge,  though Mr North West Wind Esq needs keeping under control, bit of a strong cold direction.  Perhaps herbs. sage, thyme etc. 

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:35:56 »
I like to have an experimental season and  attempt planting a few plants in unlikely places where they go against their "recommended" growing requirements. Often there will be some pleasant surprises.

For example: You might try some different types of squash- one friend grows squash up a steep slope in her back yard and they do fine- but that's in the USA- however you might be shocked at what adapts.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 10:05:21 »
I like to have an experimental season and  attempt planting a few plants in unlikely places where they go against their "recommended" growing requirements. Often there will be some pleasant surprises.
I'm thinking maybe I do rather too much of that already  ;)  with quite a lot of tutting from passers-by.  Sometimes I really wish it was a private garden then I'd certainly go mad with experiments.  

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 14:15:32 »
I'm thinking maybe I do rather too much of that already  ;)  with quite a lot of tutting from passers-by.  Sometimes I really wish it was a private garden then I'd certainly go mad with experiments. 
Just put up a small plaque stating "Government sponsored experimental plot testing viability of new species. No spraying."
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal