Author Topic: Critical invasion  (Read 2211 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Critical invasion
« on: November 30, 2009, 17:45:56 »
I got a message today to tell me I have hundreds of viruses, malware and trojans and it was critical and that I should just click on this button to rectify it.  It appeared to be from Windows security. 

But luckily my Windows was more savvie and kept requesting that I should not download a new version of some program or other.  So it did not.  But it was very confusing with one telling me to do it and the next one telling me not to.

However when I closed the original message - not easy since it did not want me to close it - warning of dire consequences,  and ran all the checks possible with Mcaffee and Windows they both found nothing at all.  Not a whiff, not a sneeze - nothing.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Critical invasion
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 17:51:54 »
If the warning pops up from a web site then always ignore it.  It is always a hoax to get you to install some crap you do not need but I have seen so many people click - even on my managed systems at work.  If youare in doubt close down all your browsers and unless the message comes from your own av software - ignore it!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 17:54:02 »
I had the most realistic phishing one from "Egg" today - it took me to an identical login site, egg in the domain but no https...

We all really need to get a bit savvy now.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 17:58:27 »
The problem was that it did not look like a website it looked and felt exactly like Windows Security.

I was only protected because the real windows security kept on asking my permission and I was suspicious that one moment it should seem to suggest an action and the next asked my permission to allow a download. 

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 16:32:12 »
I got a message today to tell me I have hundreds of viruses,

Er, what's a virus?  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 16:34:33 »
I got a message today to tell me I have hundreds of viruses,

Er, what's a virus?  ::)

Linux or Mac user plot69??  ;D

Demonoid's back up!!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 17:05:28 »

Linux or Mac user plot69??  ;D

Demonoid's back up!!!

Apple MacBook Pro  ;D

I bought the Mrs a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago and slipped Parallels Desktop 5 in while she wasn't looking so I could play with XP. Now I can watch my Mac crash without, well, without actually crashing... If you get my drift.

Yes, Demonoid was off for long enough. I for got what it was I was looking for now ???
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal