Author Topic: Horseradish  (Read 1852 times)

jamie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
Horseradish
« on: October 28, 2004, 21:16:19 »
Managed to slip away for a couple of hours down the allotment whilst nobody was looking (we're all off on half term).

Thought I'd attack the Horseradish. It was about a year ago that I managed to acquire two clumps of horseradish and against all advice from other plot holders planted it in two unused corners of one of my plots. Please take my advice, only plant horseradish where it can be contained (in a large container or on concrete slabs etc). At least you can see where it comes up as it has large green leaves. The roots grow deep and when you try and dig it out it just snaps at spade depth. I've tried painting the leaves with roundup but this has had limited success.

As if that was not enough, half way through my attempts to dig up as much as I could my spade snapped in two. However I've managed to find the receipt and it has got a 10 year guarantee.

Have spent the early part of the night peeling and preparing approx. 20 horseradish roots. The worst part is using the blender to produce horseradish pulp. The experience is 100 times worse than peeling fresh grown onions and will certainly clear a blocked nose. Managed to freeze two Chinese containers worth of horseradish pulp. Has anybody got any recipes?

Jamie

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Horseradish
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 21:44:30 »
Nope, but Jamie, I have a snapped on horseradish fork to match your spade! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 23:34:40 »
I know what you mean!! i peeled and blended a few roots, approached and sniffed - woah!! - felt like my head had been stripped from the inside.  ;D

i'm waiting for this to mature.

http://www.picklenet.com/sections/cats/recipes/seasons/horseradish.htm

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 00:03:05 »
Horseradish was the only thing I aquired on my lottie besides weeds when I took it over.
One of the chaps down there thinks he knows it all bless him says to me you want to get rid of that dock.
Well I just had to laugh took great delight in telling him it was horseradish and a huge plant at that.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 09:46:49 »
Never thought of the blender. I always use the finest microplane grater.

Our only use is h/r sauce - for which we use mayo rather than cream, so that it keeps. For storage, we use film cassettes - each just enough for a bowl of sauce. = Tim

jamie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 22:01:53 »
I think film canisters are now in short supply with the digital camera age, the only ones I have were used to store my sons small nuts and bolts from his meccano set (although I've used it more than he has).

Homebase managed to exchange my broken spade. The only difference seemed to be an extra rivet (maybe a design flaw in the original). I plan to use the new spade tomorrow. The first tranche of broad beans will also be planted tomorrow.

Thanks for the h/r recipes, now I've got some frozen I'll search out other recipes in slow time.

Jamie

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 02:15:42 »
Jamie,
you could use the h/r with sushi. Some recipies on the BBC MBoard under Food and World Cuisine.  It was towards the end of page one, could be pg 2 by now. It was only a week 10 days ago.

regards

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal