Author Topic: tomato seed starting day dec 13, 2009  (Read 7183 times)

mrestofus

• Quarter Acre
Re: tomato seed starting day dec 13, 2009
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 08:43:58 »
Digeroo the day length difference does really matter in the way the plant grows after feb 15
since the day length is over the minimum  to grow tomato plant. the temperature is more import matter but as long as temp stay above the minimum   the the wall o water protect the plant give it an earlier start. But if really want see if it work for you why not try it yourself. Instead deriding the idea without any testing.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 08:54:35 »
I have not derided the idea.  The wall of water is not available this side of the salty pond.  I have managed to keep courgettes going with plastic milk bottles filled with hotwater.  So actually no reason why tomatoes would not survive.  I will give it a go.  I like a challenge.  Next fruit day 27th Dec.

Maybe it will be possible to get tomatoes before the blight sets in

It is not just the hours of sun but the lack of brightness.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 11:43:39 »
I usually plant Christmas week under lights and with heat. I have some on a North facing windowsill   in windowboxes  now that were planted some time ago under lights,  Just an experiment to give me something to do, I have flowers now, they were lanky and I trenched them when they got to their final position, still a bit lanky but they are growing well, all fast maturing types that don't grow tall. Much better than I expected them to be.

Usual ones are waiting till the end of January this year.

You can have wall of water thingies shipped over from thre US, postage is not much but they themselves are pricey I think.

If anyone needs a link I can find you one XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mrestofus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 21:01:19 »
you can find wall of water's in the uk by shopping on ebay

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal