Author Topic: Propagating Mahonias  (Read 1560 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Propagating Mahonias
« on: November 28, 2009, 18:08:35 »
I have always wanted one of these plants, but have always been a bit too much of a cheapskate to buy one (they are a bit pricey in my local GC). Recently I have been given the opportunity to propagate from a mature plant. I was wondering if you could take hardwood cuttings of these plants or does it have to be by soft or semi ripe cuttings (if at all). Any other reliable methods I could try (eg layering, suckers etc)

Please advise.

Alimo

• Acre
Re: Propagating Mahonias
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 18:21:05 »
The blackbirds in my garden always help out - eat the berries and (ahem) poop out the seeds the other  ;D

They are lovely plants, wonderful colour and scent this time of year.

Alison

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:59:08 »
This link and its related links should answer your query!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Mahonia/Mahonia.htm

Click on thumbnail pictures to enlarge.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 16:55:23 »
Sorry i've not replies earlier. Thanks for replies. Looks like seed or semiripe cuttings are the only options then? Layering and Hardwoods are out. Thats a great pity.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 17:04:00 »
GA, I wonder that layering might not be an option OR digging a root up? I don't know, but can only speak from experience of working in a client's garden that a mahonia planted one side of a high fence, has bits of it coming up the other side, so, therefore, it may spring up from runners? I've been working for this lady for 4 years & I've always had to cut back the unwelcome new growth which obviously weren't new plants from seeds.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 18:01:17 »
GA, I wonder that layering might not be an option OR digging a root up? I don't know, but can only speak from experience of working in a client's garden that a mahonia planted one side of a high fence, has bits of it coming up the other side, so, therefore, it may spring up from runners? I've been working for this lady for 4 years & I've always had to cut back the unwelcome new growth which obviously weren't new plants from seeds.

I suppose it depends on the variety - some might be more prone to this than others, but its worth looking into. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal