Author Topic: Every garden should have a tree  (Read 4043 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Every garden should have a tree
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 16:51:30 »
Cant really help on choosing a tree for your garden as i have never planted an ornamental tree in my gatden, in fact apart from 8 large old and rather scruffy pine trees at the top of the garden it doesnt have an ornamental tree in it. I stress ornamental as i have recently planted 2 apples against a fence to train as espaliers. These are the first trees i have ever planted in  the garden.

I would though love to have at least one, and have over the years chosen favorites that i would like to plant. this has varied greatly, depending on what trees I had seen or heard about at the time. One has remained constant and that is the crab apple. I like it because it has more than one season of interest; blossom in spring, fruits and foliage colour in autumn and a nice winter structure. Other favorites are silver birch, larger acers, sorbus (rowan or mountan ash) and liquidambar. Not a great fan of cherries, I think thr blossom of many of them are a bit OTT.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Re: Every garden should have a tree
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 17:25:18 »
Hi,
I would first dheck the soil type you have and the location next.
This will then narrow your choice a bit as there is such a vast array of trees which could be chosen.
Once that is sorted then you can see what you want from it.
IE colour, berries, canopy, height and the rest of it.
I chose an Oak due to the amount of ground I have and the return it will give both the family and the wildlife in the area.
Best of luck with whatever you choose.
And remember a tree is for ever not one season.

An Oak tree  isn't for this life, or the lives of your children, but your children's children's children's children's children.   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal