Author Topic: moulting  (Read 1992 times)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
moulting
« on: November 28, 2009, 18:50:58 »
Just noticed today that there are a few feathers missing on the underside of my chickens they have been laying now for about 8 weeks so they are probably about 31/32 weeks old, should they be moulting already?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: moulting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 18:54:37 »
we could stuff a pillow with the feathers off ours  ;D
don't know about all breeds but ours(ex batts) moult about now  :)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 19:03:46 »
mine are possibly the same breed as yours - goldlines little brown hens. just seems strange to moult in the colder months and they are only young really

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:10:15 »
Different breeds moult at different times for different lengths of time.  I would not worry about it.  Just give them a little more straw for shed insulation over the winter months if you are a little concerned.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 12:21:30 »
just been talking to a bloke down the allotments, his chickens are moulting aswell, been down for a few hours this morning to let them out of their run, they spent the whole time out in the pouring rain - crackers!

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:03:08 »
Some of my brood did moult at about the same age.  A year on most of them are now moulting.  They are also ex-bats (ISA browns).

It's quite freaky when they run towards me with their wings out.  They look like chicken/teradactyl/bald eagal hybrids.  To make it worse the daft birds stand in the rain besides having loads of shelter.  ???

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 19:39:36 »
so how long do they moult for and do they loose nearly all their feathers? when will they start to grow back ? Bald chickens in the winter is no good

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 20:22:47 »
It may sound silly but one day they look rather 'oven ready' and next thing they have their feathers back.  If you look closely you will see what look like tiny tubes popping out of the bald bits.  These will disapear overnight and the new feathers encloed in these will appear.

I worried about this as well.  I got two (almost) completely bald rescue hens last year when it was snowing.  They did so well I cannot tell them from the others.

I am sure with the attention and care that you are giving to them they will be fine.

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 17:01:45 »
thanks for the advice everyone

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal