Author Topic: North Tyneside (Wallsend) Allotments.......  (Read 3604 times)

Rixy

• Not So New ...
North Tyneside (Wallsend) Allotments.......
« on: November 21, 2009, 19:59:57 »
I went for a wander around our allotment site today and noticed several vacant plots.  Now these plots to be honest are overgrown but with a little hardwork will make fantastic plots,  3 of which I know for certain where "given up" by their former keepers.  Why these plots haven't been re-let I do not know, after all there is a hefty waiting list for plots in North Tyneside apparently.

If anybody would like any further info on which site these vacant plots are on then don't hesitate to contact me.  I badgered and badgered our former allotment officer with various freedom of information requests until he called a meeting with me and allowed me to queue jump by taking on an "unlettable" plot (none of the several vacant plots are in anywhere near as bad a condition as mine was, I should add).  I believe our allotment officer has just changed, I will however endeavour to find out the name of our new one in the near future.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: North Tyneside (Wallsend) Allotments.......
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:51:30 »
Believe it or not there are several areas where people just pay the rent for their plot each year and are never seen on site.

When the plots we have were run by the council that was the case. The plot was considered 'given up' when the plot holder stopped paying rent.

Good for you for fighting your case and every happiness on your plot.

I am holding back on the suggestion that you try and organise other members to form a committee and try to get things done because I think that you will find that all you will get is opinions, complaints and advice (wanted or not) but little action.

Some local clubs will let you have a room for free to have meetings on a quiet night during the week though. If you are interested in trying to sort it out.

Rixy

• Not So New ...
Re: North Tyneside (Wallsend) Allotments.......
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:45:44 »
I'm well aware of the plots that pay their rent and do the bare minimum to stop them getting impovement or quit notices, we have a couple of these on our site.  Unfortunately nothing can be done about them as they pay their rents (which isn't cheap I may add).  The plots I've mentioned are actually vacant plots, I knwo this as I knew the people who had given them up.

A committee was formed the year before last with a view to going self-managed, ballot papers where sent out to all plotholders and a figure of 75% was needed to succeed.  Those in favour of self=management only managed to gain 73% of the votes cast, a lot of opposition came from the "pigeon men" and you may even find this funny as I did, there where several "counterfeit" ballot papers entered with a No vote :), unfortunately the committee then lost interest and disbanded.

If someone kicks up a stink and gains a plot out of my post then I'll consider it a success, a 3 year and growing waiting list isn't a joke, especially when there are several vacant plots and double that number again classed as unlettable on this one site alone.

Happy allotmenteering peeps.

Roy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal