Author Topic: Chips?  (Read 3567 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Chips?
« on: December 04, 2009, 14:12:55 »
Having stopped smoking a while ago I've put on a bit of weight, I've changed my diet and now eat more chicken and fish etc but I can't seem to find anything to replace chips which I love.

Any ideas?

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: Chips?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 14:34:12 »
What sort of chips do you eat? There is a big difference between chip-shop chips and oven chips.

I do oven chrunchies, cut spuds into small chips, boil for a few minutes then roast in the oven with a little oil, not very slimming but better than deep frying.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 15:12:06 »
we do wedges, par cooked, sprayed with oil then sprinkled with salt and pepper and cooked  ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 15:28:30 »
Big thick oven wedges - you add very little oil and can flavour with herbs, garlic, chilli or whatever.  My favourite way of having spuds.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 15:30:38 »
Make virtually fat free chips, that's what I do when I get a chip craving!

Peel potatoes, put pan of water on to boil. When water boils, put chips in for 5 minutes only, then drain and put in a clean tea towell to get really dry. Spead on a baking tray and spray with Fry Light (available in the oil section at most supermarkets, I use the olive oil version) and add salt and pepper (or cayenne pepper if you like spicy chips).

Put in a hot oven (220 degrees C) for 20 mins, shake the tray and put in for another 5-10 mins depending how brown you like them. Since I've done chips like this my family do not want them any other way! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 16:18:01 »
Or shake them in a plastic bag with a spoonful of olive oil.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 20:17:08 »
.....or eat 'proper' chips, big portion, natch,  - once a week, as a treat? It'll give you something to look forward to and as you've demonstrated you've the will power and determination to quit smoking (respec') I'm sure you could do this. 8)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 23:47:12 »
I had to go and make some chips tonight after reading this, just fancied them! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 05:41:54 »
I had to go and make some chips tonight after reading this, just fancied them! ;D

I've just got up and I fancy them too now!
(but it is a bit early so I'll have porridge instead  :))
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 07:01:18 »
Lets face it NOTHING compares to chips does it and to be honest, I wonder if chips are as bad for us as we are lead to think.

I know that I take a load of butter on plain boiled, jacket and mashed spuds. Rosti and roast need tons of fat or oil to crisp them.

Oven chips and frozen chips I find totally disgusting and I am not convinced they are any better than cooking ready cut chips to size in water then drying them. (they keep 3 days in the fridge) then plunging them into very hot oil to crisp off and drying them off on kitchen paper.

I was on a diet years ago and used to give myself one day off a week when I would have my chips as my treat. The rest of the week it was no spuds at all no bread but I would eat so much fruit (fresh, dried, tinned) and veg it filled me. Porridge believe it or not at breakfast time is filling and can be improved no end with loads of fruit and a teaspoon of honey.

The secret is to eat so much that you are full all the time. Fruit and vegetables can be very filling and the fiber after a couple of days does clear out the digestive tubes very effectively.

Rice is not my favourite but those packets of rice mixed with flavours and bits of dried vegetables I quite like for a change, they go well with chicken. 

I suggest that you try strong flavours, chinese or curry type things, the sauces need not be high in calories either.

Well done giving up the smoking.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:25 »
Well written PH 8)

What are you going to do Mick?

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 15:04:56 »
Thanks guys and girls.

I'm going to try them Deb P's way tommorow.  :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 15:58:08 »
or cook a jacket potato, cut into wedges and spray with fry light and bake in the oventil crispy, can also buy some lovely shake seasonings to go over them yum yum

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 16:41:41 »
You could try sweet potato chips too lovely part boiled then in the oven with a little fry light :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 17:15:01 »

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 10:31:24 »
I cooked chips Deb P's way last night and they are perfect.  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 22:56:12 »
Good eh! ;D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:32 »
Crisscross that video clip on you tube is very tame

This is much better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fitxofd7kOA&NR=1

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal