Author Topic: rowdy area  (Read 1146 times)

ACE

• Hectare
rowdy area
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:21:13 »
Would it be possible to have the non-gardening areas like the shed, news and watershed to be put in to a rowdy area for signed up members. Then the gardening and allotments parts could be kept seperate and free from conflict and those who only come on solely for gardening advice can get the best out of the site without being offended.

The virtual pub, could have a warning on that this might not be proper gardening and banter can get boisterious. I am not asking for carte blanche for insulting and abusive behavior, but more a place for people with a sense of humour.  Also I shall not be joining in the friday debate until the season of goodwill is over. We seem to be getting a bit out of control with the dark evenings. It will be past midwinter on boxing day so how about a good slagging off for a couple of hours then. The mods will still be on their hols, and we can also judge who got the worst xmas pullover.

Now is it too early to wish you all Seasonal Greeting and could some of you clever ones get the twinkly lights and holly out and decorate the forum up a bit. I'm working on the mistletoe.(form an orderly queue ladies). Also the Advent calender needs a volunteer to get it going.

SOUND ONhttp://www.christmas-carols.net/carols/jingle-bells.html

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Re: rowdy area
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:25:41 »
Surely if you are only interested in the gardening -y bits those are the ones you click on & not the ones which don't interest you?

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:50:03 »
Why can't we keep the forum as it is - for Gardening!! If people want to have other stuff why don't they look for other forums?

The clue is in the forum title - its not difficult! ::)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:15:29 »
I like the shed - it's been useful and fun. Somewhere I can ask a question about wood burning stoves etc. And why ask those questions on a gardening forum? Cos there's a whole heap of friendly and helfpul people on A4A

I tend to avoid the "rowdy" posts anyway.........

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:33:57 »
It's an allotment forum.  Everyone who has an allotment says that it has widened their circle of friends/acquaintences.  So do you talk only about growing fruit/veg when you talk to your neighbouring plot-holders?  Of course not.  So that is what the shed is for.

If you only want to talk about growing stuff, then why not put the shed, watershed, pets and any other boards you're not interested in on ignore.  Easy.  I have ponds and wildlife and the competition stuff on ignore - I don't have a pond, am not really interested in wildlife and am uncompetitive.

With a forum of over 9,000 members (although a very small percentage visit or post regularly) there is bound to be a wide range of interests, and A4A does cater for everyone.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:19:53 »
I often don't log in to read the forum and lately it has felt like the Watershed has moved into the open forum.  It must be putting some people off joining.  I am with Ace on this, and I think that the shed should perhaps be for members only - purely so as not to put off people who want to look at gardening and allotment related postings.  Sometimes at the moment it seems hard to find them!  I know it is the silly season and things will all be better once we start sowing seeds again.:)

And most importantly you shouldn't mention advent calendars Ace, or I shall tell everyone about the wonderful one you did a few years ago that brightened up every morning leading up to christmas. Pleeeeeease do another one, it was brilliant!  Made me smile every day! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:26:34 by Tulipa »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal