Author Topic: burning rubbish  (Read 6047 times)

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
burning rubbish
« on: December 02, 2009, 15:53:22 »
hi all im just after abit of advice about burning rubbish in my back garden i would like to know if your allowed to do this as i have just cut down an old tree and im wanting to burn it as i cant get it to the tip

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: burning rubbish
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 15:59:52 »
Phone your local council to check, they'll tell you if there are any specific regulations relating to where you live.  The neighbours will complain whatever you do, but at least if you know you are allowed to you won't be caught on the back foot.

You can possibly sell off the larger branches for logs (buyer chops them up) and shred the smaller ones, twigs and leaves for compost/mulch.  That's an alternative to burning or taking to the dump.
The Tuscan Beaneater

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 16:07:28 »
You'll do well to burn it, if  its raining as hard as it is in London now, and it was wet and miserable in Hartlepool when I was up there the weekend.
If you really need to burn it, do it in the evenings and just warn neighbours you are doing so, cut up all the smaller stuff and put it out for recycleable collection, if you have one.
Could you borrow a chainsaw and cut into stepping stones for your lottie.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 18:20:26 »
hi all im just after abit of advice about burning rubbish in my back garden i would like to know if your allowed to do this as i have just cut down an old tree and im wanting to burn it as i cant get it to the tip
definitely speak to local council before you start.
what type of tree was it? (some give of carcinogenic gasses when burnt)
You couldn't make it up!

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 19:08:23 »
it wont be getting burnt for a while was just getting some advice if i could do it and it was some sort of christmas tree have cut it down to make way for fruit trees goin in

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 22:30:27 »
Cut the branches small enough and they will fit in your green bin for recycling.  It will take 2-3 times to be emptied.  You can also bag  the lighter branches should the bin be full and they will take it away.  Saying that,  my new nextdoor neighbour had  bonfires each night of his first week in the property.  They were at the rear of the garden and were small enough so as to not interfere with any adjoining properties.  I am not aware of him having any complaints, but that's not to say your neighbours would appreciate it.

Telephone Sunnyfield House and they will give you a definitive answer.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 22:36:09 »
if you have logs big enough for a fireplace, try freecycling them there are always wanted ads for this, the person will dry it out for future use.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 23:46:16 »
it wont be getting burnt for a while was just getting some advice if i could do it and it was some sort of christmas tree have cut it down to make way for fruit trees goin in
Well if it was some sort of Christmas tree it wont be that good for someone burning it in a grate - it will spit out all over the place. However it will be full of resin. Stick some paper under some of the lighter branches. Light it and stand back, it should go up with a whoosh. The resin makes conifers burn very quickly and there should not be much smoke. In forest fires as the resin in conifers vapourise the trees just explode into flame. It would be a great way to get rid of leylandii hedges. ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 09:46:55 »
Well if it was some sort of Christmas tree it wont be that good for someone burning it in a grate - it will spit out all over the place. However it will be full of resin. Stick some paper under some of the lighter branches. Light it and stand back, it should go up with a whoosh. The resin makes conifers burn very quickly and there should not be much smoke. In forest fires as the resin in conifers vapourise the trees just explode into flame. It would be a great way to get rid of leylandii hedges. ;D
apart from the FACT that the fumes from Lleylandii are CARCINOGENIC. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 15:14:47 »

apart from the FACT that the fumes from Lleylandii are CARCINOGENIC. ;)
Is Leylandii more carcinogenic than other things? Breathing in any smoke is likely to have a risk of being carcinogenic due to the minute particulates but i cannot find any reference to Leylandii in particular. I have seen a reference to an extract of Leylandii as of possible use in cancer treatment

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 21:27:33 »
You won't notice that if you start it with an old tyre soaked in petrol :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 21:55:30 »

I'll vouch for that when one of our more endearing pupils set light to somebodies hedge that backed onto the school field...  ::)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 22:44:21 »
You won't notice that if you start it with an old tyre soaked in petrol :D
of course!! I forgot that old faithfull fire-lighting method. works everytime as well. :)
You couldn't make it up!

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 02:17:46 »
Freecycle it
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 15:41:23 »

I'll vouch for that when one of our more endearing pupils set light to somebodies hedge that backed onto the school field...  ::)
Are you confusing it with epoxy resin that contains a whole pile of nasty chemicals?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 04:52:06 »
Pine resin burns outrageously well..... I remember burning off a couple of dead xmas trees once and you'd have thought they were soaked in petrol.....

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 13:59:49 »
Tony, accepting that all wood smoke contains carcinogens, I can't find any reference to Leylandii smoke being particularly carcinogenic.

I'd suggest that from an environmental point of view, burning wood is better than letting it decay, because methane produced from decomposition is 20 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide from burning - but you'd want to burn it hot and dry so as not to annoy the neighbours too much.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal