Author Topic: Mini Greenhouse: Protect against mold?  (Read 2733 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Mini Greenhouse: Protect against mold?
« on: November 29, 2009, 21:37:24 »
I am planning on bringing my mini PVC greenhouse inside over the winter as I have a fair few things with delicate rooys in there and I can't plant them out as yet.

I am planning on putting it in my enclosed porch. Even though this is still a chilly 'room' it does not suffer from frost.

However, the porch does seem to have a mold problem. I often find mold on my old shoes or growing on the walls. It's not a MASSIVE problem, but I have kept some lavender cuttings out there on the shelf and had to move them inside the house as mold was starting to grow on the soil surface.

Will the PVC greenhouse be enough protection to prevent the mold getting to my plants?

I do not have a de-humidifier.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Mini Greenhouse: Protect against mold?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 21:41:23 »
I would be looking at improving the ventilation in that area   :)

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 22:11:36 »
I have put two air bricks in over the years, to no avail.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 00:37:09 »
I took the info below off the internet for you- I didn't write it but did have a mold problem with seedlings  I was growing in the basement once and tried the tea cure- maybe it would help with your plants- it acidifies the soil a bit which mold does not like supposedly:

"I use a weak tea formula. Make a cup of tea, anything that you have. Let it steep for 4 min, then dump it.

Make a second cup with the same bag. Let this steep for 4 min.

Add this to water to make 1 qt.

Place seeds between 2 layers of paper towel on a plate. Moisten towel with tea.

Place in fridge over night.

My germination rate is usually in the high 90% range.

Byron, A couple of questions: Is any kind of tea better than others? Green tea? Instant tea OK? Can I add tea to the starting medium rather than use a paper towel? Do the seeds need to be refrigerated? Does continuing to water with the tea during germination help or hinder? I have some already planted ancho/poblano & rocoto seeds that are being stubborn and wonder if I could add the tea to them now? John

Follow-Up Postings:
RE: Byron's tea for seed starting Posted by: Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on Fri, Mar 1, 02 at 12:09 Any tea except instant. Objective of 2nd use tea bag is to get tannins from the tea. I think those are removed from instant. Some folks feel chamomile (sp) helps reduce damp-off (??) Objective of seeds in fridge overnight is to help break dormancy cycle. Just overnight 8 to 12 hours is enough. Never tried adding tea to once planted seeds, it might help.. Byron

RE: Byron's tea for seed starting Posted by: becki3 z5 IN (My Page) on Sat, Mar 2, 02 at 21:01 I started using weak chamomile tea to bottom water my seed trays when I saw some fungus starting to form on top of the soil. It not only got rid of the fungus (instantly), but the seedlings were standing up a little straighter a couple hours later. I have been bottom watering with it ever since, and my seedlings have been growing like crazy. I also use one of those Oil-O-Pump sprayers to mist the seedlings with, also using the weak chamomile tea. Works very well for brand-new seedlings, and my African Violet also loves it! You can find these sprayers in the kitchen stuff dept at Wal-Mart, etc. They are supposed to be for putting cooking oil in if you want to spray it like a cooking spray, but I find it works better for my plants. ;) And yes, I also use a very weak chamomile tea to wet my starting mix when planting seeds. Seems to prevent fungus and damp-off before it begins. And I had some seeds sprout in 1 day after planting using this method! Haven't tried any other kind of tea, but I imagine it would have a similar effect. Besides, I had an awful lot of old chamomile tea bags lying around. ;) Hope this helps, Becki :)

RE: Byron's tea for seed starting Posted by: tantaw 7 Tx (My Page) on Sat, Mar 2, 02 at 23:08 I would just like to echo Becki's thoughts on bottom watering with chamomile tea. I raise a lot of tomatoes and peppers from seed and I always bottom water with a weak chamomile tea solution. I have not had a damping off problem since I started using it. It may be all in my head but I think it works.

RE: Byron's tea for seed starting Posted by: John__ShowMe__USA 5 (My Page) on Sun, Mar 3, 02 at 9:21 I've never had a damping off problem that I was aware of. Granted there can be damp-off beneath the surface that I just didn't know about. Some of my peat pots look like fuzzy little moldy Chia pets. Doesn't seem to hurt the growing plant. I did spray my newly planted seeds with 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide to 19 parts water. And I could do the same to get rid of the mold if I so choose. What I was trying to accomplish with Byron's tea was to break dormancy, not to kill mold. John

RE: Byron's tea for seed starting Posted by: becki3 z5 IN (My Page) on Mon, Mar 4, 02 at 12:53 "And yes, I also use a very weak chamomile tea to wet my starting mix when planting seeds. Seems to prevent fungus and damp-off before it begins. And I had some seeds sprout in 1 day after planting using this method!" Sorry John, I should have pointed this out. I had 2 yr old tomato seeds sprout the day after I planted them (with 100% germination), using starting medium that had been wetted up with chamomile tea. And I had parsely come up in 5 days with this method, it has always taken me at least a couple weeks before. And I also had some 11 yr old luffa sponge seeds that had been in a starter medium for about a month that I had pretty much given up on. But I decided to start watering them with the chamomile tea, and a couple of them came up a few days later. That one might have been just blind luck, but I was sure the seeds were too old, so either way it was a nice surprise. I have no idea if it was the chamomile or just tea in general that has given me such great luck this year, but I'm not gonna question it, just enjoy it. And I owe it all to Byron, I started doing this after I saw a post of his earlier this year about the paper towel germination method, and I've been busy ever since. Thanks Byron! ;) I hope this helps to answer some questions for you, good luck with your seeds, Becki :)"

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:31:48 »
wash the affected area with vinegar, this will kill the mould!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 19:15:39 »
Thanks to betula, GrannieAnnie and tonybloke.

Great info there!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal