Author Topic: Secondary school  (Read 3293 times)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: Secondary school
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 07:11:51 »
WHAT ***** ARRIGANCE.  Where do these people get off.  Sounds to me this person is trying to justify her job.  Report her, she has no right to speak to your daughter that way.  These people make my blood boil.
Her job is to help those that need help with parenting and only if they ask.  My step daughter used to go to the one's at her childrens school and they taught things like first aid and  practical things, it also gave the parents chance to widen their social group and talk to other parents.
Does this person have children of her own or is she another who's a text book expert.  As others have said your GD will let her no when its time for her to do it alone.(with friends of course)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 08:51:10 »
Hey Froglegs
  TOO LATE THEY HAVE ALREADY TAKEN OVER.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 11:02:02 »
Daughter wants to go to the Parenting Course on Monday as usually she enjoys them and mets other mums.  She doen't always agree with them. Parenting Course said granddaughter should be allowed to eat meat and fish. Parents are vegetarians and she has been brought up as a vegetarian.  Doctor said vegetarian is a healthy diet.  Not sure about that one as I eat meat, daughter has agreed that she can eat what she likes out, or at my house, but they don't cook meat at home. (Difficult one, tend to agree with the Parenting Course on that one).   Also parents evening at the school on Thursday night so will get their opinion as the school is very good, and always ring up if football training or some other activity has been cancelled, (yes girls can play football now) so they obviously know that parents like to know where their children are.  I will try to keep out of it.  Granddaughter is a bit young for her age (which I don't think is a bad thing), she doesn't play out, or smoke or take drugs (joke).  My son's children are very grown up but he has three and they are 9, 13 and 15 and the 9 year copies the 13 year old so she is old for her age, and my son says the 13 year is more like 18.  You just can't win.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 16:17:53 »
I've never heard of Parenting Courses before this thread.  What are they, and who runs them?  Are they commonplace these days? 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 16:33:27 »
I think they are pretty common Betty. Certainly where I worked (in a community school) there were lots of "fragmented" families where the wider family is not about to support young parents, also lots of teenage mums  and quite a few single mums, so not only are the clases available for people who have left school but there are courses on parenting in school for 14-16 year olds too.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 18:52:52 »
Parenting courses are run by the Council and they are in touch with the schools, primary and secondary.  My daughter is 48 ((I don't believe it) and her daughter is just 12 (a late baby, after one miscarriage) and Dad has always been there and still is.  Daughter is a qualified accountant, had done various courses and was an assistant teacher at the school and teaching maths for people with difficulties, has been on various child development courses so is probably better trained than the lady in charge of the parenting course.  It is a government scheme.  They probably have a point that she is a 'helicopter mother' and finds it difficult to let an only child go.  We laugh when I take her to the park, if we see a police helicopter we say that is your Mum watching you and naughty Nanny who is smoking.  I expect naughty Nanny would fail all parenting courses.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 19:40:34 »
So sorry Borlotti. My post was not intended to suggest that your family came in to the categories I was describing but on rereading it I see that could have happened. I was simply speaking about parenting classes in one particular school!

Please forgive me. Completely unintended.
Anne

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 19:52:10 »
No problem, hopefully tomorrow they will be helpful and perhaps find other children that she could go to school with, who live nearby.  I expect it will sort itself out soon but until then she will be taken and collected, until she says p.ss off.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 17:47:32 »
I've never heard so much crap, I can't write on here what I would tell this women, I don't want another telling off, Borlotti I have PM-ed you.   :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 21:26:54 »
Borlotti I'm sorry to hear how horribly your daughter has been treated-how outrageous of this woman, whoever she is to say those things-she's going to report her? For walking her daughter to school? Ridiculous. I'll bet you any money she's not a social worker-they just don't have the time for parenting courses. I imagine she's some kind of family support worker or adult learning tutor who is so far up her own you know what that she's lost all perspective on life.
I work in a children's centre and I'm really shocked by the way that your daughter has been spoken to.
How dare she say she's going to report her? I think she'll get an amused response from the school who will probably tell her that many parents and children are anxious during this transitional stage-which is a huge thing to deal with. What a total idiot. I'm furious on your behalf!!
I would most definately report her, she could cause so much damage. Imagine if she said that to some-one with no family or support. I would take it to the headteacher, if you get no joy there take it to your local education authority.  >:(
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 21:48:23 »
I think that the idea of parenting classes are a great idea. 

But I do not think that they should dictate.  I remember being handed my first baby and having very little idea of what I was supposed to do with it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal