Author Topic: Quincemeat!  (Read 3442 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Quincemeat!
« on: November 10, 2009, 16:45:16 »
We have a tree laden with quince so have been searching for recipes and have found Nigella's recipe for quincemeat.

Has anyone ever tried it before?

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/advent2002/recipes/Quincemeat.htm

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Quincemeat!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 17:29:11 »
I made a batch yonks ago - before Nigella was invented - but I think it was from the Frances Bissell recipe she's quoting. It was one of the most gorgeous things I've ever tasted in my life, but it was also one of the more time-consuming things I've ever cooked. Preparing the quinces takes for ever! (Use the biggest you've got!!)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 18:14:15 »
Thanks, Trevor - it is nice to have a recipe recommended, especially as you say that preparing quince is not a quick job. :D
Thats why I like making quince jelly - chopping the whole lot and throwing in a pan isnt too much of a trial ;D

tai haku

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 17:25:28 »
last year I was lucky enough to get taken to nose-to-tail eatery st. john where we had amongst other things pickled quince - it was spectacular and its what I'll be using a fair few of my quinces for in future.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:17:53 »
Quinces can be easy to prepare: wash them, put them whole into a roasting pan with some water, cover with foil, and leave in oven on low heat for about 3 or 4 hours. The skin peels off in a papery way, and the flesh is soft and easy to deal with. The details are here, and I've done it with a local glut, twice:

http://www.travelerslunchbox.com/journal/2006/12/8/quinces-the-lazy-way.html

I froze the flesh, being in a hurry, but mean to make membrillo out of some of it eventually. The juice is delicious, as she says.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal