Author Topic: Chainsaw question  (Read 3033 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Chainsaw question
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:05:51 »
My chainsaw finally gave up last week and as we use a wood burning stove quite a lot here I bought a quick replacement - the problem is it doesn't cut, it just smokes and "burns" the wood, even on the smaller branches. I've written to the manufacturer but have had no reply yet and want to get on with  some sawing this weekend.

What would you say is the likely reason?

The chain should be new, it's an Oregon chain but I suppose it could be a dud.
The revolutions appear fine, it doesn't appear to be running slowly.
The oil and mixture are the same as on the old chainsaw so I don't think that should be an issue.
The chainsaw does appear to be leaking oil more than I would expect and it does appear prone to stalling.
It was very cheap and not a known brand.

Cheers for any suggestions.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Phil G

• Not So New ...
Re: Chainsaw question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:40:53 »
My new chainsaw arrived two weeks ago. The first thig I did was to take it apart and re-assemble it. It proved to be a worthwhile exercise as there were two faults, one of which was potentially lethal.
From your brief description of the symptoms I would guess that the chain is on the bar back to front. Have you checked that the cutting edge is facing in the right direction? The other possibility is that the chain is too tight and/or there is no chain oil getting to the bar.

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:51:21 »
It was very cheap and not a known brand.

Unfortunately cheap chainsaws here in Bulgaria are rubbish, mainly made of plastic parts, bad quality and not designed for anything other than occasional use we found out. Although we do have one that we took to a Stihl shop and had a new chain made for (didn't cost much) which works better now although needs re-sharpened regularly.

British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:07:23 »
Thanks, it's not on back to front - would be difficult to do that really. It's not too tight either. I've had chain saws in the past, just not ones that don't cut. I might try with a new chain and see if that makes a difference.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:33:05 »
Thanks, it's not on back to front - would be difficult to do that really.

No more difficult than putting it on the right way round.
You say that it is leaking oil. Is the feed fitted correctly? Have you checked that the oil is getting to the chain and not just dribbling down the engine body? There are a lot of cheap chainsaws which are being returned to the suppliers because the chain oil feed is faulty and the chain oil just leaks.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:56:17 »
The oil is indeed leaking - do you know if it's generally an easy fix?

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 13:31:29 »
It depends on the make and model. What have you got?

Have you done a Throw test to see if sufficient oil is getting on the chain?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 13:33:14 by Phil G »

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 11:02:09 »
why do they sell these lethal tools to folk who ain't been on a course??
simple pre-start checks will identify any problems.
take apart saw, remove bar, check oil-ways are clear, check blade is sharp (sharpen chain before every use)
turn bar over, re-assemble.
start saw, do a 'oil throw' test.
oh yes, there is no such thing as a 'cheap, good chainsaw'
It's either a STIHL, McCULLOUCH, or a HUSQUVARNA. (anything else ain't worth the metal it's made of, IMHO)

Attend a chainsaw course, please!!
You couldn't make it up!

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 11:58:23 »
I agree with your sentiments to a degree, Tony. As someone who uses a chainsaw professionally, I have taken Lantra Chainsaw courses and have stacked up the certificates. However, I didn't learn anything on those courses that I didn't know before I went on them. I was taught how to use a chainsaw by a previous employer and used them for years before I took the Lantra courses. All It means to me is that I can now hand over my certificate in the Stihl suppliers and buy a professional chainsaw which others are prohibited from buying there.
If I hadn't bothered going on the course I would not have the certificates but I would still have the same knowledge. There are plenty of people in that predicament, home users who are perfectly competent in using and maintaining a chainsaw but are refused the full range to choose from.

Where I disagree with you is on the subject of cheaper chainsaws. I've just bought a £150 model (branded by Spear & Jackson) which is ideal as a second saw. It's lightweight and well constructed (bar the assembly faults) and it would be quite sufficent for domestic chainsaw work. Stihls & Huskies are ideal for serious users but there's a massive market for less substantial and cheaper models to cater for the occassional user, the homeowner who just wants to sort out his log pile for example. That market is well served by the likes of Ryobi, Black & Decker and Alpina.

It does bother me that there are chainsaws on the shelves in B&Q and that they are available to the type of bodger who pulls the cord without ever having even read a manual. Then again, if you took every potentially lethal tool off the shelves in DIY stores, there wouldn't be much left outwith the paintbrush display.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 13:46:33 »
No wonder it costs so much for someone to do a bit of tree pruning.

A colleague got a quote for two guys to top of a conifer and give it some shape ... £800.00 !

I went and did it for £100  - including the price of a skip. Took just over 2 hours.

When they charge £400+ for a course on how to fell a sapling, they obviously see you coming.

Its not the teaching your paying for, its the H&S certificate. You not protecting yourself from injury, its more about being sued.

I've used chainsaws for over 10 years, ok its not a 36inch, but it does most jobs around the domestic garden. Never been on a course, never intend to. I didn't need a course on how to use a kitchen knife, mattock, a handsaw or even a ladder. All these are just as dangerous.

What is the cause of most injuries - trips and falls. Do you have a certificate to say youve been trained on how to walk safely ?

The worlds gone mad. If you dont feel confident in using a tool, then dont.  Pay though the nose for someone else to do it .

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 14:01:58 »

What is the cause of most injuries - trips and falls. Do you have a certificate to say youve been trained on how to walk safely ?

Next year I plan to complete my Health & Safety Executive Certificate for Running With Scissors- Module 4B (Stairs & High Level Rope Walks.)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 15:12:58 »
No wonder it costs so much for someone to do a bit of tree pruning.

A colleague got a quote for two guys to top of a conifer and give it some shape ... £800.00 !

I went and did it for £100  - including the price of a skip. Took just over 2 hours.

When they charge £400+ for a course on how to fell a sapling, they obviously see you coming.

Its not the teaching your paying for, its the H&S certificate. You not protecting yourself from injury, its more about being sued.

I've used chainsaws for over 10 years, ok its not a 36inch, but it does most jobs around the domestic garden. Never been on a course, never intend to. I didn't need a course on how to use a kitchen knife, mattock, a handsaw or even a ladder. All these are just as dangerous.

The worlds gone mad. If you dont feel confident in using a tool, then dont.  Pay though the nose for someone else to do it .

and there was me thinking that if you are using a chainsaw professionally, (getting paid to do it on someone else's land) you need to have insurance, and i was led to believe that you can't get that without the relevant certificates ( same as spraying pesticides/hebicides ) ??
You couldn't make it up!

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 15:33:33 »
Tony, I've just called my insurance company to check and I am fully insured to use my chainsaw on other people's properties. I have never been asked to produce my certificates and they aren't interested in seeing them now either. So wherever you got that information, it's wrong.

Incidentally, after posting on this forum about the Lantra courses I looked out the certificates. I'm furious to discover that the certificates have expiry dates on them, 5 years from the date of the course.  >:( I hadnt noticed that when I got them and filed them away. I certainly won't be wasting my time or money by taking the courses again. What a swizz.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 15:41:24 »
It's pc gone mad, making people not chop their own limbs off. Crazy. They'll stop us from taking the toaster into the shower next. And no more blindfolded driving, which is outrageous because it's the kids' favourite game.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 16:38:29 »
my kids prefer the 'driving down the wrong side of the dual carriageway' game, Ollie!!
You couldn't make it up!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 18:53:42 »
We got a new plot holder who used near enough full length lamp posts to erect a fence,
I asked him if he wanted them trimming down and if i did it could i have the excess for logs.
He decided that  he would hire a chainsaw and do it himself, Go ahead i told him forgetting to mention that you need a licence to hire one
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal