Author Topic: Advice for grave situation  (Read 1491 times)

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
Advice for grave situation
« on: November 22, 2009, 16:25:35 »
Advice needed for planting ideas for a grave which is shaded underneath a yew tree and only has about 4 inches of soil over a concrete slab which also mean's it's poorly drained. I'm presuming the soil is acidic because of the dead spines constantly falling from the yew tree. So far everything we've tried has died, even bulbs. I'm thinking maybe a small azalea...any more ideas appreciated.  ??? 

betula

• Hectare
Re: Advice for grave situation
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 16:41:39 »
Maybe try the Christmas Rose,it does not meet all the criteria but perhaps worth a go.

Azalea and rhods would prob work but maybe too big.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 16:50:24 »
I can't imagine anything growing, it's going to be too dark.  You could go for a comb-over with some ivy.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 17:05:45 »
I agree it is a hard one.the reason I mention the Christmas Rose is I have found them growing in very,very deep shade when clearing an overgrown Allotment.Worth a try. :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 17:10:22 »
There are snow drop growing under yew trees in the cemetry here but soil not acid.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 18:00:20 »
Part of my job on the council before I retired was overseeing the cemeteries. People would come in an pick a spot to bury their beloved. 'There's a nice spot' They would say, right under a lovely old yew or other tree. A year later they are complaining because everything they plant in the grave seems to die off.

Now the clever ones would have 2 decorative troughs. One planted up and on the grave and the next one at home being planted up for the next seasons planting. The silly ones would keep on planting and losing their plants or putting pots on that only last as long as the plant flowers. Nothing will grow underneath  yews, even the berrys are sticky so the birds carry them away from the parents

So the question should be 'am I clever  or silly' ;)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 18:09:55 »
I bow to the master  LOL

think that idea sounds good   ;D

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 21:10:33 »
Thanks for your suggestions; Ace I think I'll try and be clever..and why didn't I think of that? Doh  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal