Author Topic: Got my lottie - Hurrah  (Read 10927 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re:Got my lottie - Hurrah
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 09:08:32 »
Used some flexi time yesterday and went down to the lottie for more digging. I'm hoping to get a load done over the next few weeks before it gets really cold and frosty.

Got the rest of the first bed dug, which was a really satisfying feeling.

Finally got the photos I took off the camera last night, these are the 'before' photos, and I will try to take some more on the weekend of my progress.

This first one is the top of the plot, the overgrown bit. I've covered it in plastic for now, but the site secretary says he will burn it off for me.

This is the bottom half of the plot, where I have been digging - right across the middle of the photo towards the fence.

This is the whole plot from the bottom corner. Mr M has already pulled those poles and wires down for me, and he will put up some newer raspberry supports.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 09:53:31 »
Moggle

I do not bother to split my pallets to make compost bins, I simply use them whole and make up three bins from 10 pallets. This makes 3 cubes side by side.

To hold them together I tie each corner at top and bottom with polypropylene rope. You end up with a very sturdy structure.

When it come time to empty the bins I just untie one of the pallets and remove so you have access to the compost. Very simple.

I have also lined some of my bins (I have 6 cubes now, 3 at the allotment and 3 at home) with plastic. This increases the heat a touch and stops weeds ingressing from outside the bin. I also cover the top of the compost with a piece of old carpet (not rubber backed). This helps the temperature as well.

I have split pallets in the past, and they are a useful source of cheap wood but there is a certain percentage of waste as boards will split. On the end of one of my bins I have built a very useful potting bench out of pallet wood. Great at the allotment when transplanting or working on something fiddly as you do not need to bend over all the time. The space under is also useful and sheltered for storage.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 13:34:00 »
photos-wow! looks like a challenge. well done for taking it on, and doing it bit by bit.
keep us updated!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 21:32:31 »
Well done Moggle, I can see your not letting the grass grow under your feet. ;D
I am getting very frustrated with our council secretary I was promised a plot by the end of October and still heard nothing, even after leaving a couple messages on his answer machine. #*$#*# council. :o :'(

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2004, 00:33:15 »
Hi moggle, this is my allotment before i started digging and this is after 2/3 done,hard work but enjoyable
later
windy
my allotment
heaven

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2004, 14:42:38 »
How did I miss this? It's great news Moggle. You're really expanding. This year one balcony, next year an allotment, the year after a small holding?!
gone to pot :D

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2004, 15:13:40 »
Year 4, a whole farm? :D Aqui, a smallholding sounds fab  ;D I'd love to make money by gardening, but somehow I don't think I'd like working outdoors in the winter.

I don't know how anyone has missed me going on and on about my plot  :) It's all i can talk about. Fortunately I have quite a few gardening colleagues that don't get bored with me talking about it all the time. And of course all the great people here on A4A  :D

Windy, it's inspiring to see your photos and see what can be done.

Roy, I was lucky I guess. There are at least 8 allotment sites within about a 10-15 minute drive from my flat. It's not fair to promise you a plot and then not follow through on that. Keep phoning that site secretary until you get an answer! I hope you get a plot soon. Mine was the last one on our site, so I am very grateful.

Jerry, thanks for the compost bin ideas. Had never thought of just tyeing them together. I spose you have to push it down in to the soil a bit until you get some compost in there.

The good news is that Mr M has become interested and is going to give me a hand with the digging on the weekend. I hope the weather stays nice. If I can get one bed dug in less than 6 hours, how quickly can the 2 of us whip that plot in to shape. Will try to get some photos this weekend, as it looks so much better than those photos already.

windygale

• Acre
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2004, 22:23:43 »
Hi Moggle, hope this weblink help you like it's helped me, http://www.crocus.co.uk/alanshowto/rottedorganicmatter/
you'll be able to click on the other topic link's and get other advice from Alan Titchmarch
later
windy
my allotment
heaven

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2004, 09:21:25 »
Spent another couple of hours at the plot on Saturday, Mr M made me a great compost bin from the pallets with zip-ties and some plastic twine.  :D

We also dig another half 2/3 of a bed, and cleared away the wire and weeds and blackberries over the 3rd bed, ready for me to dig. I took some progress photos and I'll try to post them tonight.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2004, 09:28:16 »
Well done Moggle it is looking good! Just think of all those delicious home grown veg you will be enjoying next year! ;D You are working hard and it shows. ;D ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2004, 09:50:10 »
Okay, here are the update photos, same order as the before ones further back:

Top of the plot, doesn't black plastic make it look better?

The bottom of the plot, 1 and a half beds dug now  :D

The whole lot. I'm very pleased with the improvement

And finally, the compost bin, pretty boring for most of you, but I've never had a compost bin before.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2004, 09:58:07 »
Geez Moggle, there's no stopping you now Girl, I don't think I will be able to work at that speed, if and when I get my lottie. Your enthusiasm has given me greater encouragement, well done. ;)

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2004, 10:11:18 »
Hi Moggle,
Well done!! Those beds look like an ideal size and shape. This all looks really great. And your compost bin isn't boring at all - I wish mine was half as good as that. Hmmm - could be a job for OH at the weekend!

windygale

• Acre
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2004, 11:40:53 »
Hi Moggle,well done, time well spent, 4' wide beds - good size to enable you to work from both side - can i suggest - try raising the edges and then over the years when you dig and turn your ground and fill each bed with compost,  this will help with drainage and give the plants a better root run allowing them to grow a lot better (i'll have to do all this myself) .
I see you have a good strong wire fence around your area - should keep out rabbits etc - try to grow Sweetpeas/clematis/honeysuckle on it as they will help with pollination (bees ) Beans & Peas and somewere nice to sit.
Verygood useage of plastic to kill weeds and keep the soil moist.
Make up more compostbins - the more compost the better the crops.
Keep up the good work (makes me very envious)
if you have any spare time pop around and help me ha!ha!
later
windy
my allotment
heaven

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2004, 11:48:25 »
i'm very impressed, moggle!
how many bottles of radox has that taken!?

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2004, 13:31:03 »
Moggle, that really is an achievement.  Congratulations.  You've put me to shame ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2004, 15:14:47 »
Wow Moggle, thanks for sharing, it looks great!! Such a sense of achievement isn't it!  Compost looks fab, mine has a definate tilt on it at the moment and has been propped up with a big stick! Oh and this is about the only place you could post a picture of a compost bin  on the WWW, and we enthuse! ;D  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2004, 19:33:09 »
Moggle, that's wonderful progress.  Thought you were really keen when you just had your balcony but this shows you're well up to the real thing!!

Now if only Roy could get his allotment .....
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2004, 20:02:39 »
 :'(      :-* Megan ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2004, 09:23:56 »
Thanks all for your kind and encouraging words. I'm glad to know that people don't find my compost bin boring  ;D

Roy, hope you get your lottie soon, do you only have one local site?

Kerry, it's taken suprisingly little radox  :) I've done 4 sessions of around 2 - 2.5 hours and had a nice hot bath in the evening afterwards. Felt a bit sore after the first day, but must be getting the hang of it, as I've been fine other than that.

Wicker, it seemed like a natural progression from the balcony - as with all gardening spaces used by keen gardeners, it just got too small and limiting. I can't wait to have a whole bed full of potatoes  ;D

Spent another couple of hours there yesterday afternoon, trying to make one patch of the first bed fine enough to plant some garlic in. Also dug a bit of the boggy bottom bed, and started off the 3rd bed. 3rd bed still has bits of grass and weeds growing on it, so seemed to be a lot more difficult to dig.

Site secretary has closed the access lane through the plots for the winter, due to it being boggy down there, so I now have to walk 200 yards or more with my tools etc  :'( Getting leafmould on to the plot is looking like it's going to have to wait until spring  :'( Or else it's going to be long trips with the wheelbarrow  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal