Author Topic: pruning fruit trees  (Read 1064 times)

lottiedolly

• Acre
pruning fruit trees
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:31 »
We have an apple and cherry tree that we purchased last year, they have fruited but we need to prune them (i think) never done this before, basically how and when

I know you guys can help me

LD

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: pruning fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:59:00 »
We have an oblique cordon of apples & pears that should have been done in August but can be done in January. Not sure about cherries, think it's late Summer.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 18:36:11 »
Cherries you do not prune in the winter. You have to prune in spring or summer otherwise you let disease in. If I am right in thinking they are normal tree trained and not restricted like cordons or espaliers then there is quite a bit to pruning. Best thing is to get a good book on pruning.
Try Amazon and see if you can get hold of a second hand copy of the Fruit Garden Displayed. That is what i use and it has pictures which i think you need to understand the process

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:26:05 »
a good book helps but there is also lots on the web http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/pruning_prunefruittrees1.shtml
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-prune-apple-trees-between-autumn-and-spring

if it is a bush type tree (i.e not espalier-ed or cordon-ed) the aim is to open up the centre of the tree a bit to get light in.  Also, prune any branches that cross over one another.  hen I think you cut branches back to a third or something like that.

Do the research I think is the answer!  Best of luck

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:34:00 »
Also what variety of apple is it? Most varieties are spur bearing ie. they produce fruit on small fruiting spurs off the main branches - Discovery and Spartan are like that. Some are tip bearers eg. Worcester Pearmain and you would not want to prune the flower buds off those. If you put the name on here then someone can identify the type of tree.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal