Author Topic: Pond edging  (Read 2979 times)

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Pond edging
« on: October 24, 2004, 22:29:57 »
Hi all,

It's been a while but I'm kinda back!  Recently started my new pond, updating my puddle to....well I guess something that can be called a pond! I've done the digging and now I'm ready for lining and edging.  Just wondered what ppl have used to edge ponds?  I'm toying with the idea of some type of stones probably held in place using cement or silicon which has been suggested by my brother-in-law.  I know that cement contains lime which will be harmfull to the fish so as such I'm thinking strongly about the silicon option.  Can anyone see a problem with the silicon idea, or is there anything that can be done to make the cement more fish friendly.

thanks in advance for your help

tony

tedd

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:Pond edging
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 22:45:15 »
I would not use either cement or silicon. Both contain harmful chemicals.

If the edge of the pond is level with one end shelved to form a beach then you can just lay stones on the edge round the pond with them resting on the butyl liner. Where the beach is the liner can be concealed by small pebbles or gravel. This allows small creatures to wade out.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 10:57:40 »
About one third of my pond is a pebble beach. I put down about 6inches of top soil and planted directly into that, then covered it in pebbles (collected from the garden). Another third(ish) has decking on it, like a getty that runs along the edge of the pond rather than sticking out into it. And the final third has turf upside down on it (I didn't want to have to cut any grass!) This covers the liner and will eventually be covered in and held together by pond edge plants. The only trouble is I do occassionally have to fish it out of the pond after an animal has knocked it in!
gone to pot :D

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 08:46:31 »
Thanks for the help chaps - I really wanted a quite formal edge on the pond so that people could walk round without over balancing and finishing up in it!  I spoke with the local aqautics place and they suggested one of two ways to achieve what I wanted.

1) Use normal cement and then once dry use a product called G4 which is a kind of sealant that is supposed to seal the lime in.

2) Use aqautic silicone.

In the end I have opted for a combination of both and so far the water seems fine.

thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal