Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Watch your hands!

(1/5) > >>

Mrs Ava:
Now that the weather is getting brrrrrrr cold, I just wanted to say to any new lottie peeps, watch your hands!  I don't wear gloves, never have, can't get on with them, so bare hands in the cold.  Boy do they get cold and numb and quite often it isn't until I get home that I find I have taken big lumps out of them and don't feel it at the time because of the cold.  Also, the skin on my hands becomes terribly dry and cracked, so of course, becomes dead sore!  tut!  Just be careful (yes mum), I believe you could really hurt your hands and not notice what you have done until big damage has been done!

Doris_Pinks:
EJ I don't get on with gloves either, but now use surgical gloves, like wot Dr's use! They are skin tight and you do not realise you have them on. No good for cuts tho, but they do help to protect our delicate  ;D skin. my hands often look like they have been crafted from elephant hide :o, especially as I am not one that remembers to moisturise  :( Ah well, we suffer for our art  :) Dotty P.

tim:
if no gloves, do use a good barrier cream! - Tim

Mrs Ava:
Barrier cream.....hmmm....you see, I am a useless woman and can never remember these things!  The backs of my hands resemble rough tree bark sometimes!  And how do you get rid of the staining on your fingers?  And get rid of the mud from under your finger nails?  And help with the chapped lips from the wind (especially as I am allergice to vaseline/petroleom jelly in all its forms!).  Why...why do we put ourselves through this pain!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Ceri:
I did read once that a good way of keeping under your fingernails clean is to dig them into a bar of soap before you garden - all the muck gets stuck into the soap which simply dissolves when you wash your hands - couldn't try it though, the very thought of wedges of soap under my fingernails was irritating!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version