Author Topic: Bees and Beekeeping  (Read 136534 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Bees and Beekeeping
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2011, 20:25:05 »
well, you know the adage, 'ask three beekeepers, get 4 answers'

I'd recommend 'commercial' broods, with 'national' supers, all converted to 'top bee-space'
LOL
You couldn't make it up!

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2011, 22:39:46 »
Can the posters on this thread recommend the best hive for a newbie?

I would suggest

Join a local association and ....
Find out what hive is popular in your area so then you can get spares parts easier and cheaper and ...
Find out what frames the bees that you are going to buy are coming on and buy a hive to match

I use nationals because every one around me uses nationals, I can get parts quickly and cheaply, I have the plans for nationals to make my own, my bees came on national frames.

Speak to some one at the local association and they will tell you what is popular locally, they will be able to suggest a seller/s of bees and then speak to them about what frames they would come on.

Hope this helps

BB

THE DOG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2011, 21:46:50 »
I use Nationals myself, this is my second year as a beek and im happy with them (Although i am thinking of changing to the bigger 14x12,s

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2011, 23:33:03 »
Thanks for your helpful replies everyone. :)
That's given me plenty to mull over for now..... But you can bet I'll be back to pick your collective brains again... ;)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2011, 19:09:12 »
Please do. Have a look at what other beekeepers in your area are doing. If you find a lot of them are keeping bees on 'hive and a half', meaning a broodbox plus a super for the brood, it's worth thinking about 14x12's, as they're a lot bigger than single broodboxes, and easier to handle.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2011, 22:57:26 »
Please do. Have a look at what other beekeepers in your area are doing. If you find a lot of them are keeping bees on 'hive and a half', meaning a broodbox plus a super for the brood, it's worth thinking about 14x12's, as they're a lot bigger than single broodboxes, and easier to handle.
please don't try the brood and a half sketch, or are you wanting to join the 'lets make beekeeping as difficult as possible' brigade?
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2011, 00:16:44 »
I tried it once, and hated it. If there's one thing that upsets bees, it's having the broodnest torn in two. Inspections took about three times as long as they ought to. With 12x14's, the frames are a little clumsy to handle, but an inspection is almost as simple as with a standard National box.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2011, 20:08:45 »
I tried it once, and hated it. If there's one thing that upsets bees, it's having the broodnest torn in two. Inspections took about three times as long as they ought to. With 12x14's, the frames are a little clumsy to handle, but an inspection is almost as simple as with a standard National box.

Hear, hear!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2011, 18:48:55 »
How are everyone's bees doing? I found quite a bit of drone brood the other day; in another three or four weeks I'll have to start thinking about swarms. The more the merrier, as long as they don't come from my hives!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2011, 08:18:48 »
super on one colony, and put a Q/E between the double brood colony. a few drones have over-wintered in the biggest ( double brood) colony, but plenty of sealed drone cells in all  colonies. reports of swarms coming in from all over the country!! ( first one I heard of was in Wales)
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2011, 19:17:07 »
I had two swarms move in last year; a repetition would be welcome! The smell of old broodcomb seems to bring them from all around.

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
Re: Bees and Beekeeping. Tale of a Drowned Bee
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2011, 12:52:51 »
Hiya,
We're not bee-keepers: but this year we have LOADS of bees again both on the allotment and in the gardens.  So far I've spotted 4 species - and a goodly amount of each. 

While setting up the seedling greenhouse I spotted what looked like a drowned bee (orange bottom) in the water in a bucket.  It wasn't moving, the weather was cold and I thought the poor thing was a 'goner'. So, did nothing.

The following day, I emptied out the bucket and was shocked to see the bee start to revive!  Over the course of two hours, it dragged itself up an onion leaf, dried itself, cleaned itself before slowly pottering (walking) over to the rosemary bush where it again, climbed up the bush.  At the end of the third hour, it was strong enough to fly away in the now warm sunshine, straight to the cherry tree blossom. :o

Nature is amazing - and that's the LAST time I'll assume a bee is dead if it's floating in water! (It was KNOWN to have been in there for 24 hours minimum!)

Camo
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

lasder99

• Not So New ...
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:42 »
How are everyone's bees doing? I found quite a bit of drone brood the other day; in another three or four weeks I'll have to start thinking about swarms. The more the merrier, as long as they don't come from my hives!
Well the first Q cells I saw were April 14th, over half my 15 hives have tried to propegate -  my strongest hive had the third super added on Good Friday...and theres no rape near me but I have 3 hives in a pear orchard and it was one of them.
Only problem is it's been sold to developers( unknown to me) and suddenly I've been given 2 weeks to leave. I have to vacate this week  :-[

anybody know of an available site for an apiary in South Bucks ?

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2011, 07:24:09 »
Well the first Q cells I saw were April 14th, over half my 15 hives have tried to propegate -  my strongest hive had the third super added on Good Friday...and theres no rape near me but I have 3 hives in a pear orchard and it was one of them.
Only problem is it's been sold to developers( unknown to me) and suddenly I've been given 2 weeks to leave. I have to vacate this week  :-[

anybody know of an available site for an apiary in South Bucks ?

have you asked on the beekeepingforum ?
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2011, 18:09:20 »
Sad situation, but it does happen. I'm a bit far away to help, unfortunately.

Best to raise queens off the hives that don't make swarm cells! I think we're in for a lot of swarming this year, if the weather stays as it is.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2011, 18:48:06 »
Rather than start another thread, but could one of our resident Bee keepers (Robert or Tony) tell me what this is all about, watching the Horticultural Channel today a chap on there released a small colony of Bumble Bees, 10 in all which lived in what he called a small Lodge, apparently you can send for them by post and they  don't swarm, is this a good option to have on the lotty to pollinate fruit etc rather than a Bee Hive,

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2011, 21:42:04 »
They're more important for fruit pollination than honeybees under most circumstances, as they get moving earlier in the year, and fly at lower temperatures. They've been used for greenhouse pollination for a long time, but this is the first time I've heard of their being used on allotments. I'd have thought that most sites would have sufficient bumbles around that you could set up suitable nest sites and encourage the ones you've got. If you do buy any, make sure they're a native species.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2011, 22:29:08 »
I gave a friend a small swarm last year. It came through the winter OK and he informed me today that it swarmed 4 days ago. Luckily he caught it and hived it. He is now worried that he has removed too many/all of the queen cells from the original stock.

My four stocks are all OK at the moment, quite a few drone cells but so far no queen cells. They have been collecting lots of nectar (dandelion ?) which has produced a superb yellow coloured honey which I cannot extract because it is in the brood chamber.
I need to try and produce queens from one stock to requeen the others because although they are very hard workers they can be a bit aggressive at times but this can be handled. However, one stock has the awful trait of being followers. I was given two stocks last year by a local beekeeper who was retiring and united them into one.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2011, 23:37:24 »
Definitely get rid of those followers! I'd be worried about the drones propagating the trait.

I spotted bees investigating my empty hives this afternoon. It could be a sign of an impending swarm from somewhere.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2011, 17:23:16 »
I passed by my plot this morning, and there were masses of bees round a couple of the empty hives, so I thought the swarm was probably due. Sure enough, I went back after lunch, and they were in residence, having given my neighbour a fright as they went over.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal