Author Topic: Bees and Beekeeping  (Read 136884 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Bees and Beekeeping
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2010, 18:59:09 »
Hi all, Have really been fascinated to read all your reports about your bees. A few weeks ago I did a beekeeping course and I have attended one beekeepers association meeting. I would really love to keep bees, and next March I am hoping to do a more indepth course in Kirkley Hall in Northumberland. I hope when I become more knowledgable and experienced I can start one hive off at my allotment (the committee are busy doing a bee keeping policy) so hopefully I will get permission.

I  hope I can get some handson experience at a local beekeepers in the mean time.  First thing I need to do is get a protective suit and gloves. Can anybody give me some advice on where to go for a decent one that will give me good protection? Thanks if you can point me in the right direction. busy_lizzie  :-*
live your days not count your years

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2010, 19:57:00 »
You could try http://www.fragile-planet.co.uk/ or http://www.bbwear.co.uk/.
You might also find it useful to join http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/index.php.
Note - a suit alone won't protect you neither will a pair of gloves. The object is to have nice calm bees (well most of the time) that don't have a tendency to sting. Whilst I have a pair of goatskin gloves I prefer to use nitrile gloves these days, as it gives me a better feel of where the bees are, and therefore have less chance of inadvertantly squashing a bee, hence less chance of getting stung.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2010, 20:00:05 »
Hi all, Have really been fascinated to read all your reports about your bees. A few weeks ago I did a beekeeping course and I have attended one beekeepers association meeting. I would really love to keep bees, and next March I am hoping to do a more indepth course in Kirkley Hall in Northumberland. I hope when I become more knowledgable and experienced I can start one hive off at my allotment (the committee are busy doing a bee keeping policy) so hopefully I will get permission.

I  hope I can get some handson experience at a local beekeepers in the mean time.  First thing I need to do is get a protective suit and gloves. Can anybody give me some advice on where to go for a decent one that will give me good protection? Thanks if you can point me in the right direction. busy_lizzie  :-*

try here it's the stuff I use
http://www.beekeeping.co.uk/catalogue/NBS_3.pdf
Combined Jacket and Veil
Round Hood (Deluxe)
Beekeepers’ Trousers

I've seen cheaper ones at association apiary visits, but, you buys cheap, you pays dear, IMHO
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2010, 20:00:52 »
You could try http://www.fragile-planet.co.uk/ or http://www.bbwear.co.uk/.
You might also find it useful to join http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/index.php.
Note - a suit alone won't protect you neither will a pair of gloves. The object is to have nice calm bees (well most of the time) that don't have a tendency to sting. Whilst I have a pair of goatskin gloves I prefer to use nitrile gloves these days, as it gives me a better feel of where the bees are, and therefore have less chance of inadvertantly squashing a bee, hence less chance of getting stung.
are you on that forum, Vortex?
You couldn't make it up!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2010, 22:28:22 »
Thanks all for your advice, and links. I know that it is helpful to have a good natured colony to prevent stings. When I was at the beekeepers meeting a few weeks ago, one of the beekeepers said he deliberately gets stung every April, to make sure he is not allergic to them, and he recommended that each beekeeper did the same.  Just wanted advice on where to get the best equipment and a decent suit is crucial so thanks for pointing me to suitable stuff. busy_lizzie  :)
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2010, 19:57:15 »
I use yellow marigolds from Tesco's. they last a while, are thin enough to retain some sensitivity, and are cheap enough to throw away as soon as they get too sticky with propolis or get torn. They stop a lot of stings, the odd one that gets through is only a pinprick, and I rarely get stung anywhere else. My bees are good-tempered and don't even try to get in through the hole in my veil.

It's well worth joining http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/irishbeekeeping/

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2010, 12:21:40 »
today in the back garden[attachment=1]
You couldn't make it up!

a.buaras

• Not So New ...
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2010, 13:47:21 »
Hi to Allotmenteers & beekeepers

I belatedly found this 2008 lecture by Dennis van Engelsdorp,  he's an Acting State Apiarist for Pennsylvania's Department of Agriculture, studying colony collapse disorder, his lecture was called  A Plea for Bees

I'm sure most of you already know what about what he's saying....but I liked his enthusiasm and passion about beekeeping....

Enjoy!

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2010, 17:52:22 »
Got a potentual colony but how to get it in a hive?

Currently in a old metal dustbin..... ??? Seems to be viable and active.

Has anyone tried building a hive out of straw or other materials?

Also can I keep it in the front garden or can the neighbours object?
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2010, 20:02:33 »
Did only just got colony.. :o..at this time of the year :o?
I would leave them be for now..they will not survive the move while weather is so cold. What you can do though..if possible..provide them some food. If there is anyway putting block of bakers fondant just above the winter cluster that would be good. Wait mild day....give them oxalic acid treatment for mites..put fondant on..close the dustbing and maybe even some sort of quilting on top and leave them be untill later on in spring. If they survive the winter then you should have good and healthy colony that will take some disturbance..you can then cut the combs out and 'drop' it all on proper hive and let them settle in new home.
There is always problems with bees and neigbours when hives are in open position..even if your bees are well behaved. And not only that..there is many thieves about..really..and there is kids that will see hive as "bit of entertainmet" and they want to do some "target practise" with stones etc. So I would never ever recommend putting hive where they are easily accessable for anybody. Even if your bees are not quilty for attacking anybody..they/you get blamed for anykind of sting..bees, wasps,,,other thing is..how big is your front garden? If it is really large...maybe you could section part of it and keep it hiden behind bushes or something? Other wise hive would be better out of site. Neighbours can/may object but they cannot stop you...it is other thing if your bees become problem or your neighbours claim they are..then you are required deal with it. It is advisable to prevent all possible trouble.

rri

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2010, 20:14:08 »
Oh,,and do not close any access holes..as they do need to venture outside during winter..and they will need some ventilation too. So don't wrap them up too tightly.
This time of the year your bees will not be problem..even on front..as long as you prevent anybody accidentally using the bin.
Maybe you could get in touch local beekeeper who can advise you on situ best possible location for your future hive. Moving established colony is troublesome during active season. While 'dormant' it is easy to prepare for their future and your beekeeping becomes easier without unnecessary hassle.
I know I sound like nagging old hag..but...you only need to get it wrong once with your neighbours..and that's it..bees, you and all other beekeepers get bad press and it is hard work to get reputation and public trust bag.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2010, 21:08:07 »
Currently safe in my dad's back garden :) been there for a while  ;)

Will need to be moved in the spring as he wants the dustbin back....it's full of dry twigs for bonfire lighting, oh and bees obviously. Might just leave them there as he's got more space than I have and I can't keep them on the allotment  :(

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2010, 23:24:53 »
When you are able to move them into a proper hive in the spring remember a move should not be more than 2 yards or less than 2 miles because the bees will always relocate back to their original site. You will thus lose all the foraging bees important for gathering the early pollen and nectar essential for building up the colony.
The important thing now is to ensure that they have enough food to see them through the winter.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2010, 23:27:15 »
The question is whether they'll survive the winter. Presumably they're a swarm; some research was done in an area of the States which has a similar climate to ours, and it was found that only 25% of swarms survived their first winter. They'll be on natural comb, which you won't be able to access - don't disturb the nest at all at this time of year - and even if you do manage to give them fondant, they may well not be able to reach it until the weather warms up significantly. If they do come through, get them hived as soon as they're flying freely, but get an experienced beekeeper to do this. If you're in England, go to http://www.britishbee.org.uk/local_associations_about_us.php ; you should find a contact for your area.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2010, 18:08:30 »
The local beekeeper had a look and he thought they were pretty healthy there is comb and honey in the dustbin, knowing my dad he hasn't been down there for some time.  He's going to come back in the spring to move them. They have been getting necter/pollen from ivy in the garden although they won't be active this week! It's going to be difficult to put fondant in the bin as the combs are hanging off the lid. Dad's stopped water getting in and hopefully insulated the bin by now.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2010, 18:29:27 »
It's largely a question of whether they've stored enough food to last them, though colonies die out over winter for all sorts of other reasons as well.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2010, 16:54:07 »
I sneaked a look in the top of my hives today. Everything's still alive. I'll do my annual treatment with oxalic acid in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting.

pumkinlover

« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2010, 17:34:31 »
Glad to hear that, our beekeeping days are on hold at the moment but it's nice to hear about other people's.  :)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2010, 18:52:59 »
http://chesneybeeproject.blogspot.com/

blogg by fellow plotter on our site in preston .
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 18:58:22 by jimtheworzel »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal