Author Topic: Bees and Beekeeping  (Read 135393 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Bees and Beekeeping
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 13:31:00 »
treated my 2 hives with Oxalic Acid today, both seem to be doing well, with 8 seams of bees in each hive.
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 16:06:09 »
Not '08, 09. Once they've come through a winter they're usually OK.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 16:57:51 »
interesting observation, robert!, hope the rest of your bees get through the winter OK.  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 21:01:04 »
had a few out flying over  the snow today, only one hive though?
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 18:26:43 »
They vary a lot. Some fly over snow, and often end up dead in it, others won't. the latter are probably better adapted to our climate.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 15:52:39 »
We did our oxalic acid treatment last Sunday.  We were a bit worried, since one of the association hives at the local BKA apiary which had recently been treated had a pile of dead bees outside, and others blocking the mouseguard.  But when we checked yesterday, we'd only lost a few - presumably some of those that flew into the cold air and couldn't get back to the cluster in time.

It was reassuring to know that both colonies had survived thus far at least.  We added another layer of insulation under the roof while we had the lid off.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 13:15:24 »
Insulation? are you using OMF's? I'm still using solid floors, and have no insulation at all, just got porter escapes in the crown board for ventilation. (I don't use the old 'matchstick under the crown board' sketch)  :)
You couldn't make it up!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 13:20:04 »
There seems to be no set advice on winter ventilation/insulation, but much debate!

We took the advice of our BKA mentor, and left the OMFs on, but put a layer of insulation in the roof (now two layers).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 16:29:58 »
I've been using OMF's all the year round for years, having been persuaded by the guy who popularised the idea. I've never insulated anything. Bees survive happily in far lower temperatures than we ever see here, but they do have a problem with our damp winters. Good ventilation is what they need.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 20:18:22 »
Woo Woo !! I've just been given the OK to site my 2 hives behind some dis-used barns (building site) for the OSR flower season on the field next door to the site in a village a few miles away. The builder's son was very interested, as he's thinking of taking up the craft, and will appreciate a bit of 'hands on' before he fully commits, (so every-one wins!  ;D)
You couldn't make it up!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 23:09:34 »
The temperature crept up to 10C today, so I did a quick lift of the lid.  Both colonies are still OK, and still have fondant available.  More to the point, both were out and about, if only for the occasional cleansing flight.  I'm beginning to be optimistic that they'll make it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 23:16:03 »
I've only ever lost one after this time, and that was down to a failing queen. I've only got one left out of four, so i've got some rebuilding to do.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 20:50:31 »
anyone else filled this in? a survey of british beeks
http://www.peoplescienceandpolicy.com/beestudy/
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 21:27:42 »
I have now.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 15:59:46 »
The bees are flying strongly.  The weather is warm enough for them to be collecting pollen, so there must be brood in both colonies.

I took the mouseguards off (still with an entrance block of course) to give them a bit more room to come and go.

I'm happy.  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 17:00:16 »
Mine were also bringing in bits of pollen, probably from hazel. I use permanently reduced entrances which double up as mouseguards, so there's no way the little buggers will ever get in!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 19:59:44 »
my bees are working the crocus at the moment.
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2010, 18:07:44 »
cleaned the floors of both my hives today, i must say they are very house-proud, hardly any debris on the floors. also sealed the crownboard. both colonies flying strongly and bringing in loads of pollen and water.
You couldn't make it up!

straush

• Half Acre
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41:56 »
hi - how effective is swarm lure ?    i am going to get my first hive in a few weeks. 

i am in east london and was wondering how far a swarm will travel to find a new home.  is that even an option for me ?

there are downsides of course but 200 quid seemed a bit extreme to get some bees.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:25 »
hi - how effective is swarm lure ?    i am going to get my first hive in a few weeks. 

i am in east london and was wondering how far a swarm will travel to find a new home.  is that even an option for me ?

there are downsides of course but 200 quid seemed a bit extreme to get some bees.

get yourself signed up to your local bekeeping association, find a mentor, that should help with the cost of bees. swarm lures are discussed on beekeeping forums such as http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal