Author Topic: windows 7  (Read 5427 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: windows 7
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 12:12:25 »
GA - the black screen of death was not caused by an update but by some malware issues and also affects othe Windows systems lke XP..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8388253.stm

I'd go for it - Windows 7 is nice - back up your pics/docs/music first tho...

Thanks. The black screen of death thing must've been misreported then. Someone wanted to have a pop at 7?

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 13:59:30 »
Almost any Linux distro will kick it into next Tuesday for speed, especially on older hardware... I switched to Mandriva at home a year or so ago and wild horses wouldn't get me back to windows now... I have to test using it all day at work, when I get home I want an OS that doesn't need to use half the available processor time just to run security apps....I'd agree 7 is better than Vista but you really are talking about it being nicer to have urethritis rather than syphilis......

chrisc

Now,now, Chrisc, don't keep rocking the boat. Realise that most people like to hand their hard earned (or not) cash to Bill Gates Pension Fund. It's nice that they can afford it, I can't. I like that fact that Mark Shuttleworth gave us $10,000,000 so that we don't have to pay for software.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 17:35:12 »
MMmmm typical Linux evangalist!  ;D
Linux is fine if you like spending your life finding drivers and messing around with config files but I just want to come home - Play Call of duty at full res - check my mail - mess around on the web etc - My Win 7 sys is fast and, for me, productive.  Linux is like giardiasis - quite rare but messy and unpleasent none-the-less!

Been a while since drivers were an issue, with Mandriva you just stick the live disk in, let it get itself up to a desktop then hit the "Live Install", when it finishes you tell it about your wireless security (or give it an ethernet connection and set up your wifi in the sensible manner) and you're away....

I'm not a gamer so they're not on my list of things to do.... just internet access, some music stuff, electronics CAD.....

chrisc

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 17:40:39 »
Linux is ok if you just want to browse the internet, but when it comes to installing applications, it is ridiculously complicated and instructions for doing so are very hard to find.
I have tried various versions of it and just can't get along with it.
I use a lot of applications which aren't available to run on it.

Get a version that uses rpm (Mandriva does, loads of others do to)... as long as it's got a graphical front end then you call that up (Software Installer, RPMDrake, whatever they call it it's all just the same thing, just reskinned).... go to the section in which it's likely that you will find it (Office, Games, Sound and Video etc) type in some keywords and search or just scan through (I try to scan through every few weeks cos the list is ever growing) and you will probably find an app that does what you wnat, sometimes two or three... click their checkbox and hit Apply... it'll just do the rest for you ..... easy.... yast adn yum work in the same way too though I'll admit that the Apt-get system is a bit harder it is immensley powerful if you get used to it

chrisc

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 18:03:45 »
Second the Linux. OH is a computer buff, and moved over to Linux a few years ago. The Black (blue?) screen of death and yells from his office are a thing of the past.

We have a son who installs anything necessary.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 18:41:19 »
Truth is that Windows 7, OSX and Linux are all fine operating systems all with pros and cons and all suit different folks.  There are even other alternatives!
Problem is that there is so much guff spouted about them all that it has turned in a polarised debate with people on all sides getting ridiculously carried away and insulting each other (not talking about this forum but you should see some of the others..)

I like to play games and I run a largish network of Windows PCs for work so I have windows at home. Never had a problem paying for things I like  ;)
Fellow worker likes to tinker and is into music so is a Linux man of an evening.
Lots of art and media studies guys like to use OSX.

Personally couldn't give a monkeys who uses what as long as there is a choice out there..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 22:44:57 »
Interested in this thread.
Have a happy desktop(XP) & decided to buy a 'cracking' laptop(Win7).
All's well until I try to connect my HP scanner. It seems that there are no drivers for the Scanjet 5300C.
Any help would be welcome!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal