Author Topic: Snow and cats  (Read 4261 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Snow and cats
« on: December 22, 2009, 16:37:41 »
Anyone else got trouble with their cat/cats and the snow.  Charlie won't go out, well he will if I push him out, but he won't go to the toilet.  He keeps walking about crying, so after he did a poo in the bedroom this morning (and he had a cat litter down for the first time in his life, which he used once, I have just been out and got some more cat litter and a bigger tray, and bought a newspaper as I recycled all the old ones and he is still crying.  He is an old cat and his back legs hurt him in this cold.  He keeps crying for food and eating but is getting very thin, so suppose it is time to take him to the vet, but he is 15/17 (had him as a stray) and he is certainly a miserable, moaning old man/cat today.

gardentg44

• Hectare
Re: Snow and cats
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 17:16:11 »
NO Barlotti, but i have a jackrussel exactly the same as your cat.

Hes turned into a( sooner dog) sooner s**t in the bedroom than go outside
in this weather.  >:(
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:08:55 »
Poor thing.
My two have now decided to brave the alien world, I'm not sure that they are digging though - hate to think what the grass will be like when the snow goes!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:29:37 »
We haven't got any snow yet (only ice) but I know that when we do, my dog Graham will NOT want to go in it.  He won't even go in the garden when it's raining but fortunately he has amazing control and never does anything in the house.
My other dog Vera will go outside in any weather, even thunder and lightening.

I must go over to the allotments this morning and check that Polyanna, the cat living in my polytunnel is ok.  I leave a big plastic tub filled with dried cat food there and if I can't go over, someone else feeds her.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:36 »
Our 12 yr old cat is fine and still prefers to go out in the snow than use a litter tray but he does tend to come straight back into the warm, although now we're warming up towards 0C he does sit and pose in the sun for a while.

The 4mth old kitten hasn't been allowed out at all yet as he's only been here a month.  He'll get to play in the next lot of snow.

Rasta doggy - 3 in April - absolutely adores the snow and goes charging around chasing flakes and her tail and using her nose as a snowplough.    She comes in with built in snowballs attched to her paws.    Possum will have to do a mega "poo patrol" when it finally thaws.
Obxx - Vendée France

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 12:59:34 »
Two visitors last night, the terrible twins, Dulce and Malaboo.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 17:00:29 »
Years ago when we had a cat. He never had a litter tray prefering out side conveniencing.

We hardly ever get snow where we live, but the one year we did during his life time he went to the back door, as usual first thing in the morning and looked out. Backed away and sat there.

Then he went to the front door (which he sometimes used) looked around and went to the back door again. He repeated the check on doors a couple of times.

He still did not want to go out but with gentle guidence from the toe of my slipper he went out and I shut the door.

He must have done what he need to because 15 minutes later I reopened it and he came back in. Thankfully the snow melted before nightfall that year.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 17:18:02 »
No  problem with Elsa my King Charles but like Poppy Mole I am dreading the thaw and wondering about the lawn. We have had heavy snow which has been laying on the garden for nearly a week OMG :o
Poor old Charlie, hope he gets used to the litter tray.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 19:43:52 »
My three toms don't seem to mind, they are running about in it, but are tripping hazards indoors as they are then sprawled over the parts of the floor where the hot water pipes are closest, and will not move...... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 03:14:59 »
My Lily keeps asking to go out but when I open the door she immediately backs away and runs upstairs to my bedroom.   She is using her litter tray but normally likes to spend a little time each day outside.   I did manage to get her into the outer passage, where there is a cat flap on the back door but all she did was look at the world through the cat flap for 20 mins or so.   I don't think she actually set foot through the cat flap at all.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 22:25:06 »
This morning I've been watching, from my upstairs study window, the little cat from three/four houses down, crossing the wide gardens, sinking into the snow up to her/his belly, to make it's way to a bush in my garden where the snow hasn't fallen, to squat.....

Then to make the long trek back.

Aww....bless...

;D ;D ;D

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 23:13:09 »
We took on our cat a few month's ago from a chap who moved to a flat (No Pets). She won't go outside at all, I think she is afraid of the great outdoors.

I used to use the Fullers earth type litter but it is not a good idea on our clay soil (makes it worse), I then changed to a sawdust pellet type litter (about three times the price) which I find very economical as a scoop lasts about a week (the pellets break down and it expands).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal