Author Topic: Squash question  (Read 6793 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Squash question
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 14:32:59 »
Now I've learnt something new - TonyBloke, thanks for the info, I hadn't realised how sensitive the 1st leaves are. And will hopefully help with next years  squash plants  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 15:04:49 »
Now I've learnt something new - TonyBloke, thanks for the info,
You are very welcome, it's what the forum is all about!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 15:22:50 »
Interesting about not moving the plants.  I certainly move mine after they have chitted but before the cotyledons emerge.  I will have an experiement and see if they are better if not moved.

I do a lot of moving of plants as I do not have a green house so they have to be moved into the kitchen every night.   

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 15:28:40 »
Cornkev, you have seals on your window sill, (or is it cill, you have got me at it now),  they must enjoy the sun. I've got a picture in my mind of seals sunbathing with seeds growing on them. ;D ;D ;D I expect you are still celebrating something, was it tennis or football.  ;) ;)  That is a great idea about an airing cupboard, I can move all the towels up and put seeds on the bottom shelf, it does get warm in there because of the central heating pipes but to warm and it is dark.  Does that sound OK, apart from OH pulling a towel out after a shower, I am already in trouble because of the twins (cats).  Maybe I will get banned for going off topic, again.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 17:04:38 »
I presume that it is something you do not have on your side of the salty pond.  Do you have a warm cupboard if so what do you call it?

We don't have any sort of warm cupboard and the furnace is insulated so tightly that even laying a tray on top of it doesn't do anything. It must be lovely pulling a blanket all warmed up out of the airing box on a cold night.

Last year I used a little  waterproof medical type heating pad to give bottom heat to a tray and it worked nicely. One woman I read used an electric blanket covered with waterproof plastic for bottom heat which took care of many trays though I guess I'd be a little afraid of fire perhaps?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 20:52:03 »
they actually make electric blankets that you can wash in an automatic washing machine, these days!!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 22:06:30 »
they actually make electric blankets that you can wash in an automatic washing machine, these days!!  ;)
oh, duh! of course! ::)  But come to think of it, they're not plugged in while being washed.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:10 »
wow! what a wealth of info has been posted in the 48hrs i didn't visit, you lot are clever, thanks for the education :D.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 10:10:47 »
I am not sure that using an electric blanket is such a good idea.  It is using something for which it was never designed.  I would be concerned how the insurance would feel if a fire was caused.

You can buy electric propagators.

Our water tank well insulated so airing cupboard not very warm.  I much prefer a piggy (a hot water bottle) for a warm fix we have even got an old ceramic one which keeps the heat even longer than a plastic one.  Or putting a blanket over a radiator.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 13:59:12 »
I have vague plans for when i have a proper place of my own to build the mother of allpropagators using soil warming cables , probably with LED growlighting too.....

chrisc

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 15:34:31 »

You can buy electric propagators.

True. But two of my goals in gardening are:

(1) to spend as little money as possible and
(2)not add to the pile of things to be stored.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 15:58:33 »
Ray has put a shelf over the radiator in the dining room for me  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 13:50:57 »
Grannie Annie, check out the thrift stores and find yourself that daft clear plastic wardrobe that folks used to use ,it has a hook at the top and a zip all round, Find a place to hang that in you basement, put your heating pad in the bottom and put something in for the plants to stand on, we used an old clothes drying rack. It makes a huge warm cupboard for starting things off, you can even put a light in it if you want to.. Thank goodness for places like Value Village!!

XXJeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal