Author Topic: sorry, another sweet pea question  (Read 2148 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
sorry, another sweet pea question
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:49:42 »
I grew some in the garden this year, from small plants bought ar Focus.  I have just picked some pods and the seeds look really healthy, some with tiny greenish shoots  what is the difference between these seeds and seeds I would buy in a packet?  Do the seed sellers freeze the seeds or treat them with chemicals?  Is it worth trying to germinate some of mine?  Would any that grow be wishy-washy colours rather than the vibrant hues their Mums and Dads?

Geoff H

• Half Acre
Re: sorry, another sweet pea question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 13:45:54 »
I think if you grow your own some colours may predominate and you don't get the nice mix you originally had. I think with sweet peas it is pink that tends to dominate.
For that reason i buy sweet peas that are mixed but that are blended from named varieties.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 14:39:27 »
Many people save their own sweetpea seed, most of them come true to parents as do most of the pea family. Just try and ensure the seed has come from healthy plants otherwise you could increase any virus. Sweetpea seed is not normally treated with anything just keep it cool and dry until you sow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 16:55:02 »
If they've got shoots, plant them. They'll sit in a coldframe all winter once they've germinated. Mine came late, so they're in the airing cupboard germinating now. I'll harden them off bit by bit, and dump them in a mini-greenhouse once they've got to the point where they're no longer of interest to mice.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 17:18:11 »
I have put a few saved sweet pea seeds soaking on toilet paper, and then thought I will go through my seeds.  The packet of seeds I bought have 15 seeds in it, will save those for planting in Spring.  I shelled my sweet peas, that I had saved and must have nearly a hundred and I didn't save all the pods. I compared the size and they don't seem that different, so will see which ones do better next year.  Often save my runner bean seeds and they seem OK but do back them up with bought ones.  Think you may be right about the colours as they do seem to revert back to pink and mauve. 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 18:12:14 »
Borlotti I have always saved my own seed and cannot remember any that didn't come true.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 20:37:10 »
They will only breed true if you are growing a single variety. It is impossible for them to breed true if several different varieties are grown together.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 22:37:28 »
Thanks folks- I'll get looking for some plant pots!

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 23:14:34 »
Sweet peas are self pollinating. They will always breed true if as a result of selection they are genetically homogeous. They are always selected for trueness to colour during seed production.
If you want to create variation you have to cross two different varieties and this MUST be done before the stamens dehisce.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 07:59:38 »
I always save sweet pea seeds, then I mix in a packet of bought seeds. I have lovely colours every time, although this year dark red did seem to predominate for some reason.
Smile, it confuses people.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 09:55:43 »
True they are self pollinating.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 16:01:57 »

True and ordinary peas as well many exhibitors save their own pea seed .

True they are self pollinating.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal