Author Topic: Calling all Enfield, Barnet and surrounding area Allotmenteers  (Read 31525 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Calling all Enfield, Barnet and surrounding area Allotmenteers
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 19:02:48 »
How do u keep getting all the compost.  I don't care as my soil is so good , so put that in your pipe and smoke it.   ;D ;D ;D  Had a row about bonfires last night, the women in the garden, said f, f, f, and f again, and called the police and the fire brigade, but no-one came, and it wasn't me that did it, new people on the overgrown allotment and had a bonfire after 7 pm and must admit it did smoke, but new lady apologised, but the bonfire went on and then the Council come and took photos today, so we are in big trouble.  She is a very scary neighbour, next to the allotments, I have never, ever had a fire again, after she shouted at me. I went home in tears.  Next time her lovely children climb over the fence, on to my allotment I will not be too nice to them. It was a bit of a shame as the new people have been working so hard every day and love the site, but I suppose it was a bit silly to burn the overgrown stuff, but it was only once, and the lovely f lady, should not threaten people, her shouting and swearing could be heard all over Enfield.  I think they are lucky to have such a lovely house and enormous garden, and are Council tenants, I believe.  Now we have signs up, no bonfires until after September, then I think I will burn all my rubbish.  Think the Council should provide more facilities for rubbish if one takes on an overgrown site, and not everyone has a car to take the rubbish home. 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 16:11:06 »
Do you not get trailers for rubbish Borlotti, we get two a year.
We do get neighbours complaining about fires but some people just don't use their common, light them well away from the houses and make sure there's no wind or it's blowing the other way.
But I still don't get all the burning, compost 95% and bag the rest and it breaks down in the bags or throw away the diseased stuff and if you have to burn do it on Guy Fawkes week, no one will moan with all the smoke in the atmosphere.
I think we get compost every 4 to 6 weeks, I've asked about wood chippings and I'm waiting to see if any turns up.
Still no pruning or strimming or grass cutting going on inside the lottie, I asked our council bloke and he said they just won't do it, I explained that your site gets looked after and he said its just dangerous trees that have been cut down.
If you are getting abuse from neighbours you should all sign a letter and keep the council informed with it.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 10:15:03 »
We haven't had compost lately, expect it all went to your site.  :( :( :(   We do have woodchip which doesn't seem to have been taken very quickly and also a pile of the manure. We have the rubbish trailer twice a year, but it gets very full very quickly, think we need it more often or bigger. I do compost a lot, but need to cut the old blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes back as they are not very productive, and also prune the apple tree, later on.  I will wait until after September and then when Keith lights a big bonfire away from the houses, and it gets really hot, can burn my stuff and it won't smoke.  Trouble is it often gets wet in October, and it is very wet now.  The overgrown sites that got a letter have cut down 5ft high stuff and it really needed to be burnt, it was better when the Council rotavated the sites before they were taken on, but they don't do that anymore.  We have some good weeds growing on our site and it takes a long time for the Council to send letters and give the site to new people, and in the meantime the weeds grow and grow. Perhaps they cut the grass around our site because we back onto the playing fields and they do both together.  They don't do the paths on the allotments just the side bits and the communal paths.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 19:39:26 »
We back on to a park as well and a graveyard on one side and flats on the other and they all get maintained but we are the poor cousins and get nothing.  :'( :'( :'(

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 19:10:31 »
We are getting more compost in two weeks and NLW who supply the compost are coming over to ask us what we think of the compost and any other queries.   ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 22:44:33 »
U R so lucky, so much compost,  have a great holiday, we will all miss your lovely jokes and good sense of humour on here.  Sense of humour, who nicked your beans (not me), only a joke, I am giving mine away.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 21:17:37 »
Compost coming Thursday
NLW will be there in the morning asking and asking questions and showing the bags of compost they are making

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2011, 20:53:42 »
15 tonne of c/compost delivered last Thursday, the vultures are making short work of it, I missed the talk but little and often was the message from the experts, they saw some of the plots piled high with the stuff and told our site sec its far too much but you can't tell these people.   :P

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 21:06:40 »
Think we are getting some compost on Thursday, and it will be wheelbarrrow races to collect as much as possible. 

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 11:28:35 »
I forgot to mention the Best allotment competition last month, it seems you had a couple of winners on your plot Borlotti, I entered just to see how they marked it, I don't grow a lot of the pointed items on the list, garlic, marrows, cougettes, peppers, squash, salads and tommies. Strawberrys and raspberrys had finished, so low or no points for them, did anyone else enter.   ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2011, 11:35:30 »
It wasn't me, but then I didn't enter.  I will find out when I go up and ask around.  I know Ken got 2nd prize for small front garden.  I bet it was Trevor,his is good.  I know a few that will get a prize for the worst allotment.  Compost came and all went the same day.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2011, 19:14:06 »
Forgot to mention we had another compost delivery last week.   8)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2011, 19:19:43 »
Compost is coming Thursday.  Nearly time to start collecting leaves.  Only thing I have on my allotment at present is a dead rat, and I really, really, hate them, rather they were alive.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2011, 20:00:23 »
Compost has gone, the vultures have been working overtime.   :(

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2011, 21:10:16 »
Compost came yesterday at 11 am, by 12.30 it was all gone, but my lovely friend, who came to get compost but was too late, did bury my dead rat, so I can now go to the end of my allotment without screaming, help.  More Council compost in 6 weeks, so who cares.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2011, 19:22:03 »
I went to the plot today Borlotti and we have another compost delivery
Theres also two trees outside in the park right next to my fence been chopped down, I did warn them when the new fence went up that they were diseased.   :-X

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2011, 12:58:29 »
I went over there today and there's still compost left and they've finally finished the fence.   :o

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2012, 19:15:11 »
There's still compost left from our early December delivery and they had a load dropped up the other end of the site ( the poor end )
Our site sec says were due another in a few weeks, not sure we'll have room for it. 

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2012, 19:22:26 »
The new fence was finally finished a few weeks ago and they had to cut a lot of shrubbery to get the fence up, so we are a bit bare at the moment, not complaining though Graham.    :-X
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 19:24:41 by cornykev »

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2012, 19:36:18 »
Invoice came for the plot today, £11 for 3 months, then we're starting again in April for the new 12 month period.   ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal