Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 4125 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 22:51:31 »
New shoots travel north

Is this really true?  I have planted some on the west side of a fence and I do not want them to go under the fence because my neighbour has a path there.  So I was expecting to have to keep digging them up.  Sounds like there will not be a problem.
Mine are planted along my Eastern boundary and spread both east to my neighbour and west into my plot. THey don't seem to spread either north or south (Autumn Bliss).

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 19:11:17 »
we've no alternative about where they go so we'll just have to dig the spares out  ;D

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 11:27:34 »
Bar the debated spreading northwards, does it make a difference the orientation of the row for raspberries (fruit in general)? Would the ideal be North - South, or East - West? I've room for either way (at the moment at least).

I was going to start with just Autumn fruiting ones - is there much difference between Autumn Bliss and Joan J (which seem to be the two common options?). I've found a more local supplier for Autumn Bliss, so my inclination would be towards that initially.

Thanks.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 16:32:08 »
fruit rows are best if running N / S, this way they get the warmth of the sun in morning and afternoon, but not too much at hieght of day.
You couldn't make it up!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 16:51:33 »
Macy - I'm a Joan J fan myself. I think they are supposed to be more prolific than Autumn Bliss. I have new Joan J canes planted this spring - they seem very well established and have been fruiting since July. Ate a few today at the plot  ;D
My supplier was Marshalls (not cheap, but good.)

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 20:56:58 »
Thanks guys, North to South it is, and more indecision on variety. Might just go for both  :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 17:47:35 »
Looking them up, I read that Joan J are an improved Autumn Bliss. I have 2 thick rows of Autumn Bliss that I have been very pleased with until noticing a plot with THE MOST GIGANTIC raspberries about 10 days ago. I stole 2 to taste....saw a label saying Joan J. I want them!

Another neighbour has Glen Ample, again bigger than mine - although they are a summer variety, she gave me some wonderful berries early in October, huge and delicious.

I also have Fall Gold which are yellow, big, and very good. I am afraid my Autumn Bliss are doomed.

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 18:53:47 »
I'd come to a similar conclusion and was about to buy 12 glen ample and 6 Joan J (already have a row of Autumn Bliss). However I've just seen this collection that promises raspberries from june - oct http://www.unwins.co.uk/raspberry-cane-collection-pid1343.html

Does anyone love Glen Moy? should i just stick to Glen ample??

tombrew

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 11:51:33 »
Polka are very good autumn raspberries -- better taste than my autumn bliss

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal