Author Topic: Is 'Ferline' suitable for outdoor planting?  (Read 1528 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Is 'Ferline' suitable for outdoor planting?
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:19:17 »
I am trying to find a fairly blight resistant outdoor tomato, as every single year my out door toms get blight! 

I've read that 'Feline' is a good variety with some resistance to blight but i haven't got a green house so I need to find a variety that can be grown on outside (obviously after the danger of frost has past).

So...

1)  Is 'Ferline' suitable for outdoor planting?

2)  Is there any other outdoor varieties which have a good resistance to blight that can be planted outdoors?

Thanks for any help on this.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Re: Is 'Ferline' suitable for outdoor planting?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 14:30:36 »
I grow Ferline outside and they do very well - had a brilliant crop this year. I didn't have any blight until the end if the season this year so I don't know how they perform during a wet and 'blighty' summer.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 14:35:30 »
We grew Ferline and Legend this year and both did very well,we grow most of our tomatoes outside so never buy greenhouse only varieties
sanity is overated

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 14:37:07 »
I have ordered these as I also lost half my outdoor plants to blight.

Yes, they should be fine outdoors, well the website says so, I may also grow one in my greenhouse just to see how well it does.

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 15:18:22 »
I grew Ferline outside last year. Quite a good crop, though not as spectacular as some of the other varieties. We had a bad attack of early blight, but I always spray and most of the plants recovered, although I had to rip out all of the Black Russian.

Ferline didn't seem to be any more, or less, blight-resistent than any of the other varieties. They were all affected to some degree, and all had fruits that I had to destroy, Ferline included.

I don't think any outdoor varieties are blight-resistent. The key things are spraying - a preventative one in early July, or perhaps even late June - and constant vigilance. And on an allotment, try to get your neighbours to do the same. I lose count of the folk who plant tomatoes, don't tie them up or take out the side-shoots and don't spray, and then say, "Yes, mine always get blight!" And then they leave them in situ to rot into the soil and let the wind & rain blow the spores onto neighbouring plots!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 16:33:24 »
Most people grow outdoor toms as bush, so wouldn't take out sideshoots anyway. Growing them across the ground isn't ideal because of slug damage, but I don't think it would cause blight! But I agree about people who don't clear blighty topgrowth away.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 17:44:33 »
I've tried Ferline outside and also did not find them any more 'blight resistant' than the other varieties I grew alongside them....I do not spray my plants with anything other than seaweed foliar feed though.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal