Author Topic: curly willows  (Read 1766 times)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
curly willows
« on: November 15, 2009, 13:59:08 »
does anyone know the best growing conditions for those curly/twisted willow trees please??

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: curly willows
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 15:38:38 »
Are you sure they are willow and not Corkscrew Hazel? Willow prefers moist to damp conditions, hazel less so. I have a lovely corkscrew hazel in my back garden that a friend gave me in a large pot, as she said it was doing poorly and could I do something with it? Had a look in the pot....loads of vine weevil grubs! Painstakingly removed them and washed the roots, it is now about 8' tall in 10 years!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 15:39:36 »
There is a contorted willow too...  :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 16:19:07 »
I have the willow and the hazel, both some times refered to as Harry lauders walking stick. I have found they do sort of grow anywhere. I also have a contorted purple leafed willow, unfortunately breeders rights stops me from propagating. These trees get uprooted and potted for garden shows, stuffed back in the ground  time and time again,( really big pots) but apart from not growing to their full size they seem alright. One willow that has not moved used for a few years is planted on a spot where there was a building a few years ago so it is well drained with building rubble and it has reached 15' high. I think they are as bombproof as their wild cousins.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 17:09:39 »
Oddly enough , both our Contorted willows have died on us this year. Midsummer, they lost their leaves and that was it. No idea why though.
Gardening is the great leveller.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 19:39:31 »
We have a twisted willow, (tortuosa) in the back garden, free-draining site, it's about 22 ft high at the moment. We have a waterbut which collects all the water off of the back half of the house roof, and the grey water from the shower /sink. This has a hose attached which empties the tub to water the willow. (our subsoil is sand/gravel) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:04:25 »
Yes DebP they are corkscrew hazels,thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal