Author Topic: Children on Allotments  (Read 21250 times)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
Re: Children on Allotments
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 22:18:53 »
I wouldnt leave my child on my allotment even though he is 15! The reason is we have a child molestor on our site!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 23:37:07 »
Bans on unaccompanied children are wrong.  It's just plain on prejudice and intolerence.  I'd like to see a campaign against it.]

You would be the first up in arms if a child was hurt on a plot!! health and safety class up to 16 years old to be a child and under parental control !
There are to many ways for an adult to get hurt on a plot let alone a child !
Our rules state all childern to remain on their parents plot under their controle.
No one is against childern on site but in this day and age of 'sue now' think later you just cant have the risk on site !
Think of a child tripping and landing on a cane  :-[ or a sheet of glass or picking something that has just been sprayed !
We have a play area on site but we can not put swings ect in unless we put the rubber matting underneath.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 00:51:04 »
Some people seem confused here. Nobody has suggested that little kids be left unsupervised but kids of 13? I have spent my whole career teaching secondary school kids and I think i have a pretty good idea of what kids are capable of doing. Allotments are now dangerous places???? Many of these kids go fishing, horseriding, into city centres on their own. A kid who is working an allotment is going to be very committed and the last person to go sneaking round or walking over other peoples' plots. They generally have to be fairly strong minded cause at that age "gardening isn't cool" with most of their peers. Such kids generally like to have a certain amount of independance of their parents, which they should be able to do at that age.
An allotment by its enclosed nature is likely to be much safer than the other types of places, with its fairly stable community of people. Where would you feel your teenage child was safest - on an allotment or in a city centre, or a river bank? Where we would they most likely be robbed or physically assaulted?
Our kids are suffering because they are being stifled by what is an often an over protective culture - remember we are talking about secondary school age here.
At that age I was living on the edge of a large city and I could disappear for hours and go miles and miles and that was normal in those days.We explored the countryside on our own and that made me develop an interest in nature and the environment. better than watching TV all day.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 05:40:40 »
If an under-eighteen wants an allotment why should their age be an issue? 

Bans on unaccompanied children are wrong.  It's just plain on prejudice and intolerence.  I'd like to see a campaign against it.

This is a wind-up, isn't it Unwashed?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2009, 07:55:15 »

Bans on unaccompanied children are wrong.  It's just plain on prejudice and intolerence.  I'd like to see a campaign against it.

No.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 08:11:31 »

No.

Do you have any children yourself?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 08:43:26 »
Err no.  Is that significant?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 09:12:55 »

I think you got it in one Betty ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 12:21:54 »
OK, so.  Anyone actually want to engage seriously with the issues here?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 12:39:20 »
Unless a child is actually refused an allotment due to their age then is there an issue to debate?
Has there even been a single instance where this has actually happened?

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 12:46:26 »
Not sure if many teenagers want to be on an allotment these days but if there are any I hope each association would look at their application on merit.

Gardening is "cool" and plants "rock" getting teenagers excited about this should be actively encouraged.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 13:01:20 »
OK, so.  Anyone actually want to engage seriously with the issues here?

Several people have given you their thoughts on the subject so not sure what more you want  ??  :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 13:09:17 »
Unless a child is actually refused an allotment due to their age then is there an issue to debate?
Has there even been a single instance where this has actually happened?
I know one family on my site who's children can't now collect the eggs after a ban on unaccompanied children was introduced.  These children are impecably behaved and there has never been anything even close to an issue with children on my site.

The trouble is that many children who would enjoy an allotment of their own don't even think of it as a possibility and so never get as far ask applying.  Kids don't get to go outside on their own any more like we did when I was a kid, and I see no reason why allotments couldn't be reinvented as the new safe place for kids to get out and experience life in the fresh air.  If we bent over backwards to welcome children as tenants and none took up the opportunity it would still be worthwhile because children are accutely aware of their sense of belonging in society, and would respond positively to the greater sense of inclusion: maybe children won't want to be allotmenteers, but they'll appreciate being asked.

70fingers, I agree, but more than that, I want every association to make an effort to recruit children members on the same terms as adults and show them that they are just as much a part of society as anyone else.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 13:41:27 »
A lovely thought but you seem to have put the practical considerations to one side.

I don't remember growing up with any problems re what kids do and what adults do........and where the line was drawn.

And no.............I don't want to debate it  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 13:51:20 »
The trouble is that many children who would enjoy an allotment of their own don't even think of it as a possibility and so never get as far ask applying.  

I'm still not clear what age you are talking about.  "Under 18" isn't specific.  What would be the lower age?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 14:13:39 »
The problem is unwashed is that I am sure we would all like an idealistic society but as you know this won't happen.

Remember - Parents are responsible for their children, and that a great deal of parents actively pursue this activity with their children. If children want to get involved in allotmenteering/gardening then its up to the parent to facilitate this - not local authorities/associations. Children are not excluded!

Gardening starts at home from the grass roots so to speak! :)

Allotment associations are independent and I for one wouldn't want to impose anything on them that they wouldn't feel able to deliver or be comfortable with.

If you feel really strongly about children gardening I am sure there are school projects that could do with some support. Schools are better placed to provide a safe environment for children.

I know some associations even allow schools to have a plot for this purpose.

Its an interesting debate, but we have to be realistic on what we can achieve in terms of encouraging children, teenagers and adults to pursue this activity.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 15:59:53 »
The trouble is that many children who would enjoy an allotment of their own don't even think of it as a possibility and so never get as far ask applying.  

I'm still not clear what age you are talking about.  "Under 18" isn't specific.  What would be the lower age?
I'm saying there shouldn't be an age limit, because capability isn't defined by age.  Whether a child (that is, someone under 18) is capable of working on a plot unsupervised is a matter for the parent and it'll depend on the child and the situation.  Setting an age limit will not guarantee that children over that age are capable, and any practical limit will inevitably exclude some very capable people.

But to illustrate:  I'd have thought the average 14 yearold would be more than capable of managing their own allotment, and I wouldn't be overly surprised to find the odd 12 yearolds capable of working unsupervised, nor would I be distressed to find a lone 10 yearold fetching eggs or pulling parsnips, and neither would it surprise me to find a seventeen yearold who couldn't manage that simplest of tasks reliably.  It depends on the child and the situation, and that's a choice for the parent.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 16:16:37 »
I don't believe it, a fourteen year old managing an allotment.  Yes with help with Mum, Dad and granddad.  OK not stopping him/her, wouldn't like my granddaughter up there alone, especially as it gets dark early.  They may think they are responsible at 14 but they are not, they cannot see the dangers, (which is good) but OK when other people are about but not to take on all that responsibility alone, 16 to 18 OK. Perhaps we should say they can come up when a responsible adult is there, to support them if there is any trouble, but have to go home if the plot is unoccupied.  They smoke and drink in the local park, climb over the gates so an allotment may be a good place for a party.  Our college student is great, comes alone sometimes but even at his age comes with friends or Dad.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 23:10:06 »
I can't believe how 'ageist' some folk are!! we've got young folk allowed to go fishing, cycling, playing sport, sea-swimming, driving various types of cars/carts, riding motor-cycles, horses, and all other sorts of dangerous past-times, but not allowed to be an allotmenteer?? we have young kids bringing up babies, and even (in this town) a 14 yr old carer who looks after her disabled mum, runs the house, looks after her younger sibling, and manages to do well at school !! why can't they be responsible enough to have a plot of their own? It's not about age, it's ability and attitude that count, surely? (some 60 yr old folk can't be left on their own, so age can not be an excuse/reason)
(end of rant) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2009, 23:29:52 »
Slightly off topic but I hate it when these kids are so admired for having to take over the running of a family............In a modern society like ours why can't these kids have a support system put into their homes so they should be enjoying their childhood,not some kid having to give up their childhood.Something precious and taken away for ever.

Why is it these days people want to see kids as mini adults all the time.??

My rant over.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal