Author Topic: DNA  (Read 5456 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: DNA
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 11:19:14 »
It's not the DNA itself that bothers me, it is the way in which police officers may interpret and use such evidence i.e, manipulate it to fit their picture of the crime and who they have in the frame for it.

When the police reform themselves and demonstrate that they can use their brains and intelligence to unpick and solve crimes rather than simply rely on mechanical and technological aids then they can have my DNA.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 19:33:45 »
One thing about it is that is is seen as incontrovertible proof, and who would stand up against a prosecution 'expert' and tell them it ain't so, even if it isn't?  And who would the jury believe?

Don't know if it's true or not, but I remember reading that a photograph shown to someone familiar is more reliable...?

When the police reform themselves and demonstrate that they can use their brains and intelligence to unpick and solve crimes rather than simply rely on mechanical and technological aids then they can have my DNA.

Har har har. Brains. Policemen. Same sentence.

And they still can't have mine. Or my family's.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

fenbunny

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 20:32:09 »
DNA is not the be all and end all of a criminal conviction/case solved.
I  think that if you have been cleared by a fit and proper court then it should be removed from the data base.
As for it being planted at a crime scene how would this be done?

I didn't think that the vast majority of members were a bunch of cop haters still despite my short time here nothing much surprises me.
Dad to 3 children, dog and 3 chooks-first time Lottie holder

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 20:55:48 »
Speaking as someone who has had the cops smash open my front door at half 6 in the morning (and make me pay for the damage!), raid the house (finding nothing), arrest me in front of my daughter (who still has nightmares), publicly humiliate me, refuse to listen to any of my explanations, waste a year of my life during which I put so much on hold that it cost me a fortune (including my fledgling business venture)...

I was acquitted of any wrongdoing in a few minutes by a jury, then the judge described the prosecuting legal team and the case that they brought as “mad” and “insane”, the indictment as “absolutely idiotic” and stated that “they need to have their heads examined”. He went on to refer to the situation as “ludicrous” (I have a transcript, which cost me even more money but makes amazing reading)...

I still am not a "cop hater" (it is the system, not the people) but would you trust them with your DNA after that?

Once they think you're guilty, believe me, they will do whatever they can to prove they're right. They are not allowed to change their minds or admit that you might be telling the truth (the CPS don't let them).

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear? Oh I wish I was so naive again.

fenbunny

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 06:29:43 »
They have my DNA...along with my photo and fingerprints I was arrested interviewed and released without charge.
Like I said OllieC If you have been found not guilty/aquited by a fit and proper court or had no further action brought then yes it should be removed from the data base.

And it's the FSS who have reponsibility for it not the old bill.

yep they can keep it all as I have faith in the system and nothing to hide

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 08:22:43 »
Speaking as someone who has had the cops smash open my front door at half 6 in the morning (and make me pay for the damage!), raid the house (finding nothing), arrest me in front of my daughter (who still has nightmares), publicly humiliate me, refuse to listen to any of my explanations, waste a year of my life during which I put so much on hold that it cost me a fortune (including my fledgling business venture)...

I was acquitted of any wrongdoing in a few minutes by a jury, then the judge described the prosecuting legal team and the case that they brought as “mad” and “insane”, the indictment as “absolutely idiotic” and stated that “they need to have their heads examined”. He went on to refer to the situation as “ludicrous” (I have a transcript, which cost me even more money but makes amazing reading)...

I still am not a "cop hater" (it is the system, not the people) but would you trust them with your DNA after that?

Once they think you're guilty, believe me, they will do whatever they can to prove they're right. They are not allowed to change their minds or admit that you might be telling the truth (the CPS don't let them).

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear? Oh I wish I was so naive again.
For all those that are 'innocent' there are quite a few others that have ben found not guilty on a technicality and they even believe they are not guilty. Some have really good Briefs that can twist evidence against the police so the guilty get off. These people have committed a crime but have been  found innocent. Keeping a sample of DNA in the chance they can get them next time might get the scum off the streets.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 09:47:12 »
Yes but you can see Ollie's argument,thismust be so frustrating for him,I can understand and if in his shoes would feel the same.   :)

fenbunny

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20:15 »
Yes I can see Ollie'S POV and ACE's. I hardly think plod went round Ollie's gaff on a whim in the first place...

Lets not make this personal

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 12:44:24 »

I didn't think that the vast majority of members were a bunch of cop haters still despite my short time here nothing much surprises me.

I don't think there is anything special about the members of this site, I think you'll find its the view of the general population.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 12:52:04 »

I think you'll find its the view of the general population.

Don't include me in that, kthanx :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 12:58:58 »
Nobody said "hate" until fenbunny... We're talking about mistrust, not hatred.

I would have more reason than most, but still don't hate any of them. Some of the processes are stupid (as any cop will tell you) and like any organisation there are a few idiots. They also make mistakes sometimes... But mostly they do a difficult job which benefits us all and for which I have the utmost respect.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 13:44:44 »
Mistrust and respect (or lack of it), not hatred.

Let them have my DNA - not a chance.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 14:12:27 »
Sorry to have to use an example from such a source...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1227520/Lawyer-sacked-150-000-job-DNA-wrongly-national-database.html

:-\ Nothing to worry about at all...

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 15:50:55 »
There you go then saddad, a good reason for a universal DNA database - and from the Hate Mail as well!
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 17:10:05 »
i think it should be taken at birth! im with you on this one ace! ;)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 18:42:18 »
i think it should be taken at birth! im with you on this one ace! ;)

So I expect you have joined in the thousands of others to volunteer your DNA to the police?  ;)
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 18:57:42 »
So I expect you have joined in the thousands of others to volunteer your DNA to the police?  ;)
Careful how you phrase that, you might not be the desk seargent's type. ;)
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 19:31:37 »
Unwashed - You made I Larf!!

Saddad - link not working for me..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal