Author Topic: DNA  (Read 5455 times)

ACE

• Hectare
DNA
« on: November 11, 2009, 18:45:16 »
They are all shouting about peoples rights and DNA should not be kept if you have not been found guilty of a crime. What about the rights of the people who are going to have a crime done to them because the perpetrator can easily hide away.

Sexual crimes, these are mostly against women and children and can be solved very quickly if the police can access DNA records. Also these types of attacks will decrease drastically if there was a data base of everyone. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about. I know this sounds very big brother, but I cannot see any sense in the civil rights people shouting no.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: DNA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 18:49:13 »
Tell that to the Guilford Four... or the "Birmingham Pub Bombers" who didn't do it but the police "found" evidence to convict. If your DNA is planted at a crime scene most juries would convict... and sadly sometimes it is more expedient to frame someone than solve a crime...  :-X

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 18:53:38 »
Tell it to the Guildford one! I wouldn't have a problem with everyone being on it, I do have a problem with me (having been found not guilty) being on it and a huge number of convicted criminals not being on it! Why should I be treated differently to other innocent people?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 19:27:10 »
Records are not always correct.  My daughter was a witness to an incident.  Some time after she got a call asking why she had not appeared in court on a shop lifting charge.  They had muddled up the records of two people with the same name. 

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 19:49:46 »
They are all shouting about peoples rights and DNA should not be kept if you have not been found guilty of a crime. What about the rights of the people who are going to have a crime done to them because the perpetrator can easily hide away.

Sexual crimes, these are mostly against women and children and can be solved very quickly if the police can access DNA records. Also these types of attacks will decrease drastically if there was a data base of everyone. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about. I know this sounds very big brother, but I cannot see any sense in the civil rights people shouting no.

You're also assuming that they can keep it properly. The government's record on databases isn't exactly flawless is it?

And as for the 'If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about', I'm speechless.  :(
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 20:01:42 »
And ... its something else 'they' could leave on the train.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 20:33:40 »
It would have made life so much easier for the SS in Nazi Germany.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 21:18:15 »
I don't see how a national DNA database is anything but a good thing.  It's a bugger if you're a criminal, obviously, but if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 21:28:31 »
So is it fair for me to be on it and you not to be, unwashed?

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 21:31:06 »
I don't see how a national DNA database is anything but a good thing.  It's a bugger if you're a criminal, obviously, but if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.

???? Erm, planting evidence at a scene, mixing up evidence, losing evidence, I would fear all of that but I have nothing to hide!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 21:40:33 »

???? Erm, planting evidence at a scene, mixing up evidence, losing evidence, I would fear all of that but I have nothing to hide!

It frightens me witless.....  :-X

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 21:51:42 »
No, it's not fair Ollie.  Either we're all on it, or else just the actual crims.

Saddad, reddyreddy, yes, there's always the chance of a miscarriage of justice, but a DNA database doesn't make that any more likely.  But it does put away some evil scroats that otherwise get away free.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 22:06:14 »
It frightens me witless.....  :-X

Ditto!

My criminal record was clear, as was my credit reference file, until a certain government agency issued a petty criminal with my NI number! That error took two years & 100's of hours of work (on my part) to resolve! Given such ineptitude at basic record keeping I'm uncomfortable with the 'powers that be' holding any of my personal info.

If a dumb computer can screw a person's life up to such an extent, I dread to think what could happen when the human factor is introduced. :(

~~~

Unwashed, I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but I must ask, how qualified are you to comment on the intricacies of database security? In an ideal world all the information gathered would be 100% secure, but we don't live in such a world & any machine programmed by humans can be hacked/cracked by humans.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 22:08:25 »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 22:49:11 »
Ten myths about Britain's National DNA Database.
http://reclaimyourdna.org/further-information/ten-myths-about-the-national-dna-database/

Well non of that make me think differently. If I was inadvertently mismatched I can prove were I have been because even in this far off outpost of civilisation I am on a security camera 95% of the time I am not at home and all the tracking devices on my phones/computors/vehicles etc wiil make up the shortfall.

But like I say 'I have nothing to worry about and these same devices are protecting me and my family.

I did like the bit about even with more dna on their data bases there are still the same amount of crimes solved.
Perhaps the people who are on the data base have realised they won't get away with it. There are not so many crimes to solve.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 23:12:56 »
I used to think if you were innocent you had nothing to hide, but sadly the incompetence and statistic/figure chasing coppers throw that theory out the window. I read Ollie c experience and it makes you wonder.Innocent people get dragged into stuff and honesty disappears.SHAME
sanity is overated

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 09:18:45 »
Not so long a go a passager spat in my face,his DNA put him behind bars.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 10:03:44 »
A good use, and a good result... we aren't against using DNA evidence, we just doubt the value of retaining "innocent" people's....

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 10:29:56 »
I think everyone has something to worry about, whether they have done something wrong or not.

I had an electrician in the house yesterday, his DNA is all over the place, where he was checking connections and taking ligtht fittings apart.  Not to mention the teacups and other stuff he touched.  If a crime is committed in my house tomorrow (burglary etc) and they have his DNA on record (although he is completely innocent) he has every chance of being picked up and becoming a prime suspect.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 11:05:38 »
asbean I'm sure the fact he was there would make him a suspect until proven otherwise and his DNA could do just that.

A good use, and a good result... we aren't against using DNA evidence, we just doubt the value of retaining "innocent" people's....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal