Author Topic: aminopyraloid petition response from gov  (Read 2394 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
aminopyraloid petition response from gov
« on: November 11, 2009, 17:42:00 »
Hi All
I got this from the 10 downing street petitions today.
Supposedly its not licensed for horse grazing. Im sure all those concientious farmers will read the label carefully, act accordingly and keep all manure on thier property!
Job done!

grrr
Sunloving

The Government acknowledges the difficulties that the use of manure containing traces of aminopyralid has caused some gardeners and allotment holders.  In issuing approvals for two new products, it carefully considered the advice of the independent Advisory Committee on Pesticides (ACP).

The restrictions on the new approvals are intended to ensure that manure containing aminopyralid does not leave the farm: 

The new products may only be used on grassland for grazing (not for forage) or amenity grassland.
The labels must state that manure from animals grazed on grassland treated with aminopyralid should be returned directly to grassland - i.e. kept on farm.  Similarly, labels will contain a warning that animal waste or plant material suspected of containing aminopyralid must not be used for composting or mulching.
Only grassland grazed by cattle and sheep may be treated - not land grazed by horses.
DowAgrosciences has developed a communications and stewardship campaign for users and distributors to further reduce the risk of problems arising from manure containing aminopyralid residues.

The company will also submit regular reports to Government detailing any complaints and the action taken.  These complaints and any received directly will be monitored and, where appropriate, investigated by the Chemicals Regulation Directorate.

If, despite these additional controls and safeguards, significant problems arise in future, the Government’s position will be reviewed again.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: aminopyraloid petition response from gov
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 19:59:24 »
At least they've promised to review the situation if necessary. We need to ensure that they have to. That means finding cases of contaminated manure and publicising them all over again.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 20:22:59 »
Apparently what's happened - if you go on to the PSD, Environment Agency & Defra websites - is that only two brands containing aminopyralid have been re-licenced: one is specifically for cattle & sheep pastures; the other for areas like railway embankments, motorways verges and the like. The formulations specifically aimed at horse pasture are still banned.

So potentially good news for any sites which use stable manure, but not for anyone using cattle or sheep manure.

But I think we've got a situation of "blanket legislation", without a lot of the details fully thought through. As we have an on-site stables, I've been keeping a close check on this as we all want to be legal!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 15:32:45 »
I only realised today that Dow are the successor firm to Union Carbide of Bhopal notoriety... and *that* place is still dreadfully poisonous.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/01/bhopal-chemical-studies-toxic-levels

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 16:03:49 »
Yes, it's the 25th anniversary, it did so much devastating damage and the Union Carbide local director skipped the country and has managed to avoid extradition.  And the damage is still going on, the area not cleared, people still suffering.
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 16:32:42 »
Dow are not the successor to the Union Carbide company they are the parent company.  And looking at all the stuff on google they are still refusing to pay for the clean up.

Why should we left such a company ruin our crops?

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:30:46 »
How many of you have shares in DOW.

If you are in a pension scheme and they invest in global stocks on your behalf you probably do have some shares. Maybe worth talking to your Trustee Board about voting rights and whether big investors like pensions schemes should be trying to table motions to get them to take some responsibility re Bhopal clean up. However they do indicate that they never owned or oeprated the plant at Bhopal

http://www.dow.com/commitments/debates/bhopal/index.htm

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:34:03 by Suzanne »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:07:58 »
Today's Guardian article is disturbing and graphic.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/dec/04/bhopal-25-years-indra-sinha

Do not read this if you are sensitive!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal