Author Topic: moving with my hubby to be  (Read 2283 times)

Torey

moving with my hubby to be
« on: November 08, 2009, 21:50:58 »
I'm moving in with my other-half soon, and I have a pritty good garden, and I don't want to leave my stuff behind (plants' that is)

So, I was wondering if anyone (ye one of you guys') could give me tips about moving the larger Shrubs, storing and re-planting later on in the year, Plus keeping them alive over a week or two..

Should be an early spring/summer wedding.. Thanks. Txx

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: moving with my hubby to be
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 22:40:57 »
Welcome to A4A Torey... and good luck in your future plans..
Have you anywhere you can "heel them in"? Most shrubs move best now as they will be dormant... but it depends on what they are and how big...  with some it might be easier to strike new cuttings than move the whole thing..  :-\

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:15:50 »
Are you able to name any of the shrubs ? it might allow us to give you better info, but no promises  ;)
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:34 »
welcome to A4A Torey  :)
I've moved a few in my time, and have nearly always been successful by putting them temporarily in pots or black bin bags and then getting them in the ground as fast as possible, with a sprinkling of blood fish and bone to encourage them to settle into their new home (as it were) !

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 17:25:14 »
Lift them and do any required root trimming now, while they don't need to take up much water. That gives the the winter to start growing new roots, which will be more compact. Next year, stake them well, and water assiduously for the entire season.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 17:28:27 by Robert_Brenchley »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal