Author Topic: New Allotments in Chessington Surrey  (Read 4660 times)

delboy

• Acre
New Allotments in Chessington Surrey
« on: October 14, 2009, 17:03:33 »
We are opening up another 80 or so allotments adjacent to our site, which is just off the A3.

Our waiting list seems full of people who don't want to slash down brambles and nettles and thistles - and a few trees..

Where should we advertise?

The Council doesn't seem to give a stuff.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

powerspade

• Hectare
Re: New Allotments in Chessington Surrey
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:46:45 »
Why not try the local paper?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:16 »
Have an open day
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:40:09 »
Just like the Council, the local paper blanked us as a news item.

The open day sounds a good idea so I guess well just have to advertise and pay for the adverts..

I had hoped to save us money!
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:51:03 »
You don't need to pay.  Ask if you can put up posters in your local shops, library etc.  Do A5 sized fliers and get them into doctors' surgeries, dentists' waiting rooms, hairdressers, local garden centre, local clubs and societies, community centres etc. etc.  Put posters up on your gates/boundary walls/fences.  If your local Freecycle has a Cafe group, post an ad there.  If your council has a website with details of allotments, ask them to say that there are plots available on youir site.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:04:26 »
Our waiting list seems full of people who don't want to slash down brambles and nettles and thistles - and a few trees..

So is this the answer to the unused plot situation?

Suggest with local paper that you write the article and provide good picture.  Find something newsworthy (ps is does not have to be entirely true) and the pop in that there are spare plots for those prepared to do the prep. work. Report for example that the council may take back the land if it is not cleared by a certain date so you need more volunteers to help clear who will get a plot for their efforts. 

I used to help with a local youth orchestra and they always ran our material but never sent a reporter.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:35:32 »
You could also post on Gumtree for your area.

Might local radio be interested ?- I would think that would reach a lot of people who would have time and inclination to take on a plot.

Good luck! 

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 18:17:33 »

I'm really intrigued as to just where in Chessington off the A3 these allotments are.
Unless you are a self managed site the council would have some sort of 'have to say' about new allotments being opened up. (Self management means no interference from the council) This is all down the London Allotment Regeneration Scheme that says, more or less, that they must try and develop new sites. The only site i know that has anything being done in Chessinton is with The Lower Mole Valley Project, which is well underway and will benefit the plot holders near their workings. Its a good project and it has brought more old non cultivated site back into use.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 19:17:11 »
the local paper blanked us as a news item.

Bet it's a Newsquest paper - they're only interested in something if it makes money for them.   >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal