Author Topic: Shed Break-ins  (Read 2951 times)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
Shed Break-ins
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:30:51 »
Hi all,

It had to happen eventually,  :(

On saturday, in the rain, when the site was quiet, someone broke into my tool shed.
This would have taken considerable time and effort as its very heavily re-enforced,
Probably, after attacking some of the side boarding they got the door off at the hinges, then they could get into the shed. But they didn`t steal the tools, they undid all the coach bolts holding the 4inch diameter round hasp to the door and frame and stole that with the equally large lock that fitted snugly into it.

They also stole the 2 locks off a plot neighbours tool store and smaller locks on two other shed, but again they never stole any tools.

I have reported this to the police, and I took a set of photos at the time. They are taking it very seriously and I am seeing them this afternoon.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Shed Break-ins
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:39 »
Sorry to hear about that Columbus. And how strange they only took the bolts and locks! What are they planning?? Good to hear the police are taking it seriously tho

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:55:35 »
Hi Col
Sorry to hear your bad news. You may or may not know that we had a spate of break ins/vandalism at our site last week... it may be the same people doing the rounds. It was reported to the police and as far as I know nothing was taken. My padlock was covered in tool marks where someone had obviously tried to hammer/pry it off, and my fence was pulled down. Others had their sheds broken into and damaged but I don't think anything of any value was taken. It's a worry that they seem to come prepared and to invest so much time and effort, and risk being seen, to get in to a shed but not to take anything. Very strange.
The Community Support peeps came to our site in the summer and handed out security marker pens and an Allotment Watch scheme is sort of in the process of being set up, but it's a struggle as the majority of plot holders aren't interested and just accept the break ins and vandalism as part of allotment life. In fact most people think that those responsible are a small handful of plot holders... it's all getting a bit unpleasant to be honest.
Anyway, as 1066 says, good to hear that the police are taking it seriously, and I hope it doesn't get you down too much.

lightyears

• Quarter Acre
    • Holmesphotographic
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 15:28:08 »
Be firm with the police and they wont ignore you. Norfolklass has said more or less what i was going to so i wont repeat.  :D

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:56:24 »
The police officer who came to see me was very good, they haven`t taken copies of my pictures but I got a crime number and he will flag it up for the local police station. Its the first time I`ve reported a break-in on the plot or anywhere else and I was pleasantly surprised. We shouldn`t just accept people doing this kind of thing.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:13:22 »
your absolutely right Col about not accepting this kind of thing. Plus it is important to report crime as that way the powers that be are aware of what is happening in your area

dewisfamily

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:23:51 »
my shed was broke into two weeks ago the second time in 4 months. also this week  had my Brussels sprouts pulled up and it looks like they have been throwing them about.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 07:08:33 »
Rotten b******ers!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 08:46:42 »
Sorry to hear this Col.

We had a similar thing about a year ago, sheds broken  into but nothing stolen.

The police told us it is very important that each plotholder reports it, and gets an individual crime or incident number.  In that way the Powers That Be will have a true picture of crime in the area.  If one person reports on behalf of many, it looks like only one incident in their records.
Hope this makes sense.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 18:36:20 »
Sorry to hear this Col.

We had a similar thing about a year ago, sheds broken  into but nothing stolen.

The police told us it is very important that each plotholder reports it, and gets an individual crime or incident number.  In that way the Powers That Be will have a true picture of crime in the area.  If one person reports on behalf of many, it looks like only one incident in their records.
Hope this makes sense.

Yes, my wheelbarrow is recorded seperately to the pumpkins from  another plot that were almost certaqinly loaded into it to be dragged off....

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 18:40:49 »
I'd leave a bottle of beer for them injected with paraquat

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 19:06:09 »
I notified police (ie walked to the station) to report group of young lads setting up a tent on our site.

Same happened lasts year with drugs and bonfires. Felt a bit mean as young lads have to have fun somehow. But not here.

To my surprise (stamping into station as booted, muddy old lady) a large man loaded with night sticks, bullet proof vest, goodness knows what hanging off his uniform, strode ahead of me and saw them off. Not long afterwards, we got fences and locked gates.

One factor was each of us reporting minor vandalism, every time it happened.

The result is that we now feel really safe and secure within the fences. I know my bamboos will not disappear, my squashes will not be kicked around, I need no longer plant spiny things around the plot (always a hopeless plan) and things will not be stamped on.

Always report everything to the police. It accumulates and eventually they deal with it.

gridgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 23:54:49 »
best solution is not have shed and bring tools each visit.
or you could have  buried tool vault. Sound bit out there but if the trouble makers can't see a shed they will not break in to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal